Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1954 Pacific figuring out the VIN
Just popping in
Just popping in

WSW
See User information
Hi" folks. bought my first Packard, a '54 Pacific, and the VIN shown on the VA registration document shows the Vin as "M" followed by six digits. This isn't what's on the doorjamb or cowl (those two match). I suspect that the VIN shown is actually the motor #, but I can't find the motor #. There is a 3" x 2" tag on the side of the block painted over (block was repainted) and this tag appears to have been riveted on or similar. Am I on the right track and if so what's the best way to get the paint off the tag without screwing something up? thanks!

Posted on: 2021/5/31 19:27
 Top  Print 

Re: 1954 Pacific figuring out the VIN
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
"M" prefix is correct for a 1954 motor. The motor number is on a slightly raised pad on the driver side of the block, at the rear and just below the cylinder head temperature gauge sensor. Format should be M6XXXXX.

Your true vehicle number (VN) on the stainless steel tag on driver's forward door jamb (A pillar) should match the Briggs body number on a tag adjacent to and inboard of the heater box.

Congratulations on the 1954 Pacific, a very desireable Packard of that vintage.

A riveted tag on the engine block is unexpected, how about a picture? Or perhaps its a casting date code which was a tag affixed to the mold with screws before casting the engine block, thus part of the casting but covered with thick paint it might appear as a riveted tag.

Posted on: 2021/5/31 19:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The1954 Pacific is one of my favorites of the era. Can you post some photos?

I am a California DMV licensed servicing the San Francisco and Monterey Bay Areas and if it were my car, I would find someone like myself to come out and verify it to correct the issue. Otherwise the problem may come back to haunt you or a future owner!

Posted on: 2021/5/31 21:30
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it is still present another desirable data set is the paint and trim codes. For 54 the codes should be on a paper label glued to the rear or maybe a side of the glovebox or drawer.

You might even reach behind the dash and feel around the metal covering on top of the drawer. With luck you will find the build slip taped to the top metal with all the codes for options on the car as equipped when it left the factory. Build slip will be a narrow strip of paper and be very brittle so be careful if you find and try to remove it. A few fortunate people have managed to get a car with both items still intact.

Posted on: 2021/5/31 21:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The paint and trim codes are also on the VN tag on the door jamb in 1954.

Posted on: 2021/5/31 21:34
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don, does your 54 have a different or maybe an older label? Neals book says they went to a new tag in 54 that only carried the name Packard and the VN. He said the label was embossed by a new machine designed for the purpose and was spot welded instead of riveted. Goes on to say trim and paint codes were now stamped in light ink on the right side of the glovebox. No idea how long that ink stamp lasted because my Pacific had a paper label with the paint and trim codes. While the photo is not clear I do have one of the door jamb and there looks to be only the VN on that label.

He does mention special factory cars with VN based on chassis numbers instead of body numbers and some Henney models used an older label.

Posted on: 2021/5/31 21:55
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have an early 1954 Patrician (the 731st) and a later 1954 Patrician (the 1350th) and I don't recall looking at the glove box to get it for my roster entries (and one glove box isn't even with the car) so both must have it on the spot welded tags.

I do see the code on the side of the glove box on the driveable Patrician but other has no dash. I have it but it's not accessible.

Posted on: 2021/5/31 22:11
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day WSW,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '54 Pacific in the Packard Vehicle Registry, which you can always go back and edit/change once the VN is confirmed.

Posted on: 2021/5/31 22:11
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
The paint and trim code on my 54 Convertible is on the right side of the glove box drawer. I never checked behind it to see if the build sheet is was there.

Posted on: 2021/5/31 23:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
'54 Panama has paint and trim code stamped on the side of the glove box for me. Most of the ink is gone, but I can make out hints of it. VIN number is embossed on a plate and spot welded to the door pillar. Another is placed in engine compartment on the firewall.

'54 Clippers were weird though....a mix of '53 and '54. Not sure if any of this was a carryover from '53.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/5/31 23:24
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved