Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 118

Packard5687, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

packard 180 limo 1940 transmission problem
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

maurice desrosiers
See User information
good morning everybody i have problem with transmission i cannot get reverse it goes in gear but kick out if i don,t hold the lever i removed the cover and saw the rear bearing balls separator in the way it blocks fork and the reverse gear dont,go fully engaged do i have to remove all the things for repair thank you p.s. it has overdrive

Attach file:

jpg  100_4834.JPG (376.00 KB)
172346_60bb8a5d2e7ce.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  100_4831.JPG (386.84 KB)
172346_60bb8a74ad3e8.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/6/5 9:30
 Top  Print 

Re: packard 180 limo 1940 transmission problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Maurice; It is time for the transmission to be removed and rebuilt with new bearings. Any shortcuts that might might lead to other parts of the ring in the transmission would be unwise and lead to a disaster.

Posted on: 2021/6/5 10:34

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

maurice desrosiers
See User information
thank you for reply can i remove transmission and overdrive unit as an assy does it clear the x frame

Posted on: 2021/6/5 10:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Yes Maurice it will come out, you will need to support the back of the engine and remove the cross member, governor, solenoid and all cables and linkage. also don't forget the small spring that holds the throw out bearing to the transmission.
It is a tight fit on the shorter wheel base cars that I have done, you might have more room on the limo. If it has not been done in a long time you might think about servicing the throw out bearing and clutch. Good luck

Posted on: 2021/6/5 12:39

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

maurice desrosiers
See User information
thank you Dell i will attack it next week may i step on forum again with you if i have questions about o.d. it seems that you know them

Posted on: 2021/6/5 13:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
I also have a 1940 180 limo. Been many years, but as I remember a very tight fit. Needed to pull back out and twist. As I remember had a few sizes of corks to plug up the two or three open holes in the transmission case so oil is not all over the place. I believe you will need to remove the driveshaft and the cross member bearing. Cannot remember the name just now. Make sure you check which way is up on the cross member, there is a pointed section in the middle of the cross member frame check yours to see if it is up or down. If you need can check mine. The overdrive governor needs to come out. Best if you have an extra jack to put under the tranny and helper if you are doing yourself. The solenoid will also need to come off. I believe there is a thread somewhere here on the proper way to engage and disengage the solenoid. Must be done correctly or, as I remember, the overdrive pawl?, will not engage properly and can to harm to the solenoid adapter plate. If I think of more will let you know, but there may be some people here that have done this more recently than me.

Posted on: 2021/6/5 19:45
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

maurice desrosiers
See User information
thank you Todd good to see how many nice peoples on this forum ready to help others for prevent problems and help to solve these problems Maurice

Posted on: 2021/6/6 10:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
I believe it is called the trunnion bearing. If the bearing has never been replaced you might get one now? Also the previously mentioned bracket mounts with eight rubber spacers. Make sure they are available, when I did mine they were not and had to cast my own with, I think, Flexan?

Posted on: 2021/6/6 12:22
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved