Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

snubber rod on transmission
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bear
See User information
is there a torque spec for the tensioning nut on the snubber rod?if not how do I know when it is tight enough ?

Posted on: 2021/6/12 6:40
 Top  Print 

Re: snubber rod on transmission
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The only actual snubber torque specs I believe are in the Mar 15, 1948 service counselor Vol 22 #4. Those are listed under engine on the last page of the counselor.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL22NO4.pdf

I would think using those actual bar torque specs to tighten and pull the engine rearward would also depend some on the condition or hardness of the rubber bushings. The snubber was only to better control fore and aft motion and not be so tight that the engine and trans becomes one with the frame.

When the second generation adjustable snubber was introduced in the late 30s Packard gave a general guideline on adjustment. That recommended snubber adjustment seems to be leave it at neutral tension or at most lengthen the assy no more than 1/8" so it would put pressure on the engine and push forward slightly against the mounts. I would think that recommendation would remain the same with the third generation solid bar type only instead of pushing forward, tightening to spec would slightly compress and maybe pull back if there was much give in the rubber bushings.

One other thing Packard stressed repeatedly in conjunction with the clutch chatter the snubber was supposed to help control was the condition of the motor mounts. Many have found after all these years the mounts on the trans sides can get hard or rubber even separate from from one of the metal parts while the two rubber halves of the type used in front thru 50 models seems to deteriorate and compress letting the engine sag downward.

Attach file:

jpg  snubber adjustment.jpg (145.70 KB)
209_60c4c560914f6.jpg 816X1452 px

Posted on: 2021/6/12 9:32
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved