Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 120

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Legit or a scam?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Choirboy
See User information
Hello all, first post here. I've been wanting a V8 Packard for, oh, about 15 years now and finally have enough saved from selling off other projects that I can look at purchasing something. I'm in the rust belt so have been looking down south as I am through working on rusted out cars.
I came across this on Facebook marketplace: 1956 Packard 4 door

and wanted to know some experts opinions on whether this looks legit. Basically I'm looking for "hey, those are the photos from the car I sold last year" or "oh yeah, I think that is Joe's car, haven't seen it in years" or something like that. I've been messaging with the seller and the only thing that strikes me as off is he claims it is a 1 owner car. Could be that one owner is a father or something but if he is the first owner he certainly bucks the trend for his generation when it comes to Facebook prowess (no offense intended, just my experience).
I realize many would be put off by the power train swap, for me it is a non issue. I want the car to eventually be a tug for a vintage camper so the ultramatic would have had to go anyway, and I was on the fence about the Packard engine (probably would have been fine).
I'd appreciate any opinions as to whether this looks legit. Hate to drive 1000 miles one way for nothing, though that is always a risk.

Posted on: 2021/6/18 10:00
 Top  Print 

Re: Legit or a scam?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
One thing I notice is it has a Pontiac engine and transmission. So not a Packard V-8.

Posted on: 2021/6/18 10:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Run away. For not a whole lot more money you could get a decent running car that is assembled. It is a personal tic of mine perhaps to dismiss cars when the seller can not be bothered to clear off the car and the area around so that you can see it. For what I can see, I'd say 2K tops.

Posted on: 2021/6/18 11:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I would agree to steer clear of this car and its seller. I asked him for some better photos and he basically told me that when it sells he will clean around it. It is very obvious that he isn’t serious about selling it!

Posted on: 2021/6/18 19:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Poor car. Something not mentioned here but definitely unusual –and normally a saving grace– is that this Patrician has (or HAD) rare factory air conditioning. Note the vent doors atop the dash and the extra control knob.

I can only wonder how much of the factory A/C system is remaining intact and whether this much could even be salvaged.

Yanking the engine and trans to essentially morph-rod it just tossed all the value and interest in the dumpster. Sad. I am always amazed when low production cars with rare features are trashed instead of restored. Once everything is yanked out and brand-X stuff is in or half-way there (and thus un-sellable to someone who would otherwise love it), these things are usually, mysteriously put up for sale. Why not sell it unmolested? With the engine, trans and factory A/C intact, it would at least have potential.

At this point, the rare parts and goodies have likely been gutted or gone. Too bad.

Posted on: 2021/6/18 21:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
If you think that's bad check out the 1930 Packard sedan for sale on Junkbay.
They don't even offer to include the original engine. The thing is a total death trap.

They chopped up a very nice car.

It's a good thing Turnquist didn't live to see this day. You had to know the guy to understand how much he loved those cars. His ghost must be in a straight jacket by now.

Posted on: 2021/6/19 7:21
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Choirboy
See User information
Thanks for the advice everyone. Everyone seems to think I can get a low-rust project car for well under $4k but I just never seem to see them advertised at that price. Where is everyone finding these relatively complete low rust cars for $2k? I'd really like either a 56 400, Patrician, or Executive coupe and want the car to be a bit of a project for my son and I.

Posted on: 2021/6/19 10:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
Leeedy wrote:
"Yanking the engine and trans to essentially morph-rod it just tossed all the value and interest in the dumpster. Sad. I am always amazed when low production cars with rare features are trashed instead of restored. Once everything is yanked out and brand-X stuff is in or half-way there (and thus un-sellable to someone who would otherwise love it), these things are usually, mysteriously put up for sale. Why not sell it unmolested? With the engine, trans and factory A/C intact, it would at least have potential."

AMEN! PREACH, BROTHER!

Posted on: 2021/6/20 8:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Hi choir boy
There are decades of Packard experience answering your quesions. Referencing old cars, I think most people have already made up their mind on the course of action they are going to take and are looking for afirmation. A word to the wise is sufficient.
Good luck with your quest.
Best regards,
Steve

Posted on: 2021/6/20 11:50
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Choirboy
See User information
Quote:

Steve wrote:
Hi choir boy
There are decades of Packard experience answering your quesions. Referencing old cars, I think most people have already made up their mind on the course of action they are going to take and are looking for afirmation. A word to the wise is sufficient.
Good luck with your quest.
Best regards,
Steve

It is true human nature tends to seek out affirmation for already held beliefs. I'm sure I'm suffering from that to some extent. But my question is genuine: I'm apparently looking in the wrong places if these cars are coming up rust free for the $2k mentioned above. Where should I be looking?

Posted on: 2021/6/20 13:20
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved