Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 129

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 120 rear axel bearing service
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Heptig
See User information
Questions for the experts
- Do the rear axels have to be pulled out if the car to inspect/repack the bearings?
- After the rear wheels are pulled what needs to undone to release the axels (assuming this is needed?)

Thanks

Posted on: 2021/6/29 11:10
ClassicCrusier
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 120 rear axel bearing service
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Bill,

This may be too much information, but I put some photos together for removing the axle.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=460&topic_id=5878&order=ASC&status=&mode=0

You might start at post #469

Just about every problem one might have doing this, I had.

Posted on: 2021/6/29 12:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information

Posted on: 2021/6/29 14:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Bill;

A while back kevinpackard was embarking on the task of repacking the rear bearings on his car. I provided him a supplement to the shop manual that I’ve been working on and off for some time now. The specific posting is in the project blog section under KPack’s 1954 Panama, page 64, posting #634. See the following link;

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama [Project Blogs] - Packard Motor Car Information (packardinfo.com)

Additions to the supplement that were identified during Kevin’s project were:

1. A note to lubricate the inner seal with gear oil, especially if a new seal is being installed.
2. A note to lubricate the outer seal with either gear oil or bearing grease, especially if a new seal is being installed.
3. A note on the addition of a series of center punch marks if a loose fit is encountered between the outer bearing race and the axle housing bore.

There was a discussion on all of those subjects as the blog proceeded.

I know the supplement was written for the '48-'54 automobiles, but I believe the design of the '40 is quite similar.

The hardest part of that job is the removal of the brake drums . . . after that it is pretty much routine.

dp

Posted on: 2021/6/29 19:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved