Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard performance
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Was this weekend at an independence day party, and noticed a guy with a "packard performance" shirt on and a modern design of the goddess of speed. So I go over and figured he's a Packard guy and I've someone to BS with about Packards. Well he was not into Packards, it's a company that makes performance parts for off-road toys like dunes buggies/ side by side (seems like every part of the country calls them different.
https://www.packardperformance.com/

Is there any protection for the Packard name or the goddess of speed logo, or is it a free for all?

Posted on: 2021/7/4 19:56
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard performance
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

cortes121
See User information
I believe Packard Holdings does still, unless thats changed. Article quoting Gullickson, the owner:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying-and-selling/if-you-want-to-buy-packard-ask-the-man-who-owns-it/

"We are interested in selling the company by way of selling all of the issued shares of the company, now held by my wife’s and my holding company, Packard Holdings Inc. Purchase of those shares would give the buyer 100% control of the company, and ownership of all of the assets, consisting of the Packard name trademark for automobiles and parts, the prototype Packard automobile, a certain amount of toolage, and all of the engineering drawings and calculations, suppliers names and contact information, and spare parts."

Posted on: 2021/7/4 21:48
- Anthony

1955 Packard Clipper Custom
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The Packard Club also owns several of the original trademarks, I believe they granted PackardInfo a free license for those that Kev has used here. As Kev if you want the details.

Posted on: 2021/7/4 22:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I think the Packard trademarks are specific to design of the font, etc. Drawings have to be submitted in the application.
So long as that's not infringed they're free to call themselves packard anything, unless someone else holds their choice. Those holding the trademarks also have to keep them current. They can be cancelled for non-use.

You'd have to look up if the goddess was trademarked, I never got that far in my dealings. I had to get permission from PAC to use the logo on some repro I was anticipating.
I don't recall seeing any reference to packard "performance" trademark in the motorcar lit.
Most companies have legal assistance to understand if they can use the logo and trademark it for themselves. When you trademark you also give the use, and that can be different with the same logo. eg;Packard motors cars v Packard consultants.
https://www.uspto.gov/sites/default/files/documents/tmlaw.pdf

Posted on: 2021/7/5 8:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I'm no copyright lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. I have no dog in that fight or any other like it. Unfortunately for the world around be, I am full of opinions. THat said, I would deduce that the resemblance between their figure and our donut chaser is fleeting at best. The obvious missing element: the donut.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1017/9887/products/image_ccd637d0-4936-44d2-8e32-c55866376815_1800x1800.jpg?v=1570734468

Posted on: 2021/7/23 5:29
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin
See User information
For what it's worth, the figurehead they use on that shirt bears a much greater resemblance to the 1933-1940 Cadillac goddess than our beloved donut chaser. Their company may have wanted to pay homage to the donut chaser, but neither they or their graphic designer knew their Classic Cars well enough to make a differentiation!

Posted on: 2021/7/23 12:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Some Packard donut chasers were also missing the donut as the Earle C Anthony dealership had some made and installed without the arms.

Posted on: 2021/7/23 12:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Does anyone reproduce donut chasers or any of the hood ornaments? Seems to me that a competent caster with a good mold and access to spent shell casings (brass) could cast new ornaments and plate them and do okay.

Posted on: 2021/7/23 18:54
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Most all the significant ornaments (Packard and other makes), have been available as reproductions almost continuously by a variety of vendors since the early 1960s and possibly earlier until just recently. Most were produced by the lost wax casting process, either in brass or stainless. The last very large scale maker of the ornaments and a broad range of other cast vintage car items, American Arrow Corp., has apparently succombed to a family squabble following the passing of the founder, Don Sommer. I've heard his son Dan is attempting to continue the business and there is quite some discussion on this over on the AACA forums.

Don's stainless repro were of superb quality with some items approaching $800 or thereabouts. The last repro donut pusher I purchased came from Bill Hirsch, brass cast and finished in Spain. I doubt he has any inventory remaining but perhaps worth a call. And definitely worth a call to Dan Sommer if you're in the market for one.

Posted on: 2021/7/23 19:24
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved