Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 151

Wat_Tyler, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Question for you custom guys
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
I would take the oil pan off and see if you can disconnect the con rods from those two pistons and see if you can then spin the crankshaft.

A long time ago my father and neighbor and I unstuck a Kawasaki 400 S3 motorcycle that had been left sitting behind an apartment building for 20 years or so, by taking off the head and, using a wooden block that was placed against the piston crown, hit the wooden block with a small sledge hammer and dislodged the pistons. We didn't disconnect the rods (roller bearings). Those cylinders were Nikasil (sp?) or somtehing like that, and the thing only required new rings and ran and ran until we sold it to some collectors for what now seems like a pittance.

Whether this method is applicable at all to a Packard I leave to the opinions of the experts.

Posted on: 2021/7/9 16:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I did try giving the pistons a whack with a wooden block and a hammer, to no avail. Of course, I was pretty gentle with them, not wanting to destroy anything.

I do like the sticky crankshaft idea, but since it's not running very thin oil past the rings, I'm still inclined to think the issue lies there.

BTW, this is a 9-main 327 I bought "on spec". Likely it goes back for sale in light of more recent acquisitions. It's worth more unstuck, or at least is more usable.

Posted on: 2021/7/10 5:26
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...Vibration is also quite useful in attempting to free stuck piston rings...Keep at it...the rings will finally come free...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2021/7/10 10:30
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Thank you for the hopeful spirit.

In other news, I'm pulling the head on the '47 gray car I picked up last month, the 356. Didn't break any head studs and they all stayed in. But the effing head seems to be seized to the gasket and block.

If'n it ain't one damned thing, it's another.

Posted on: 2021/7/11 15:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The head stuck to the block is pretty standard, far more common than not, especially if gasket sealant was used on the installation. Just use a thin blade like a putty or spackle knife and light hammer and gently work your way around the perimeter, gradually penetrating between the gasket and the head.

If you feel lucky, you might first just crank on the starter with the plugs installed but all other fasteners and attachments removed. Sometimes just the compression pressure will break the head free.

Posted on: 2021/7/11 18:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I have a spare 1.25" wood chisel I was thinking of using.

One of the spark plugs broke so there's no way I'm cranking anything because bits of it dropped into the hole. I doubt that cranking would be an option anyway. What do you want to wager that this engine is stuck tight as a drum? I doubt that it's run or been turned in the last half century.

So the crank snout bolt looks to be 1.75". Bloody huge.

Posted on: 2021/7/11 20:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If it was an engine I cared about, I wouldn't be using a wood chisel.

Posted on: 2021/7/11 20:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Something thin like a stiff putty knife or scraper just to get in there and break the seal around the edges.

Posted on: 2021/7/12 1:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
The engine is (largely) the point of the exercise. So is getting it done before the snow flies.

I have pondered getting a couple of machine screws with thread to match the plug holes, threading them into #3 and #6, say, with washers, putting a piece of lumber across the fenders (which are beyond hope) and using a bit of chain and a bar to link them and take the out the slack, putting a but of upward pressure on the head. Granite top guys use a method like this to hold undermount sinks in place while the sealant dries. Then when it's getting pulled, put a 2x4 against the head and give it a whack. We'll see.

Another point to remember: US-made cast iron engine parts and Chinese-made "steel" tools attacking it. I think we can all agree which is softer.

Posted on: 2021/7/12 4:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...This might be a bit much, but I saw it work in my youth with an old Chrysler marine engine...the head would not come off, so the mechanic made four spark plugs into hangers and hooked them with a bit of chain to a bar and hung the engine from an engine hoist...about one inch from the ground, pan still on, and then backed off the head nuts flush with the top of the head bolts and tapped them with a big hammer...about the third time around, the engine dropped the one inch and the head was loose...fresh coffee all around...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2021/7/12 10:36
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved