Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'29's Engine is a bit "sputtery" - timing maybe?
Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
The 640 I was going to buy fell through, so, I'm getting a 633 Club Sedan from a darned well-known collector. Car was ground-up restored about 20 years ago, has been driven little sense.

Just got the videos of it, seems to idle fantastic, engine and all mechanicals were rebuilt when she was restored, when listening at the tailpipe and when it's putting down the road (alas, they didn't take any video of it running along in anything but first gear), there's a bit of a sickly somewhat weak misfiring sound, not terrible but definitely noticable.

Owner says it runs and drives great, he is very well known in the hobby and I've known him 30 years, I trust him 100%, but the videos were done by one of his mechanics - maybe they retarded the timing and the motor was just cold? Video of it idling, it's purring like a kitten. Just was wondering if I should ask any other questions? Been a while since I've had my butt behind the wheel of one, just curious if timing makes sense - thanks!

Posted on: 2021/7/27 9:30
 Top  Print   

Re: '29's Engine is a bit "sputtery" - timing maybe?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...You might want to travel to see the car yourself and drive it for ah hour or so. Cars that have been sitting often have old oil and sometimes even old gas in them and they will not run well that way. Radiators often need to be flushed and the engines as well...many stories of the museum cars that ran a few miles and then began to show the problems caused by the non/very little use...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2021/7/27 9:48
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Re:
Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Assuming the issue isn't old/ethanol gas, I'd first check the timing/points gap, then the advance mechanism in the distributor (I take it that 29's had an automatic centrifugal weight advance) which might not be advancing as it should be, then carburetor issues such as running too lean or improper fuel float level/excessive pressure in the line.

Posted on: 2021/7/31 5:31
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved