Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

Packard5687, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 35 »

Re: Vacation Car - 56 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
Yes They required the old seat covers as patterns.

Posted on: 2021/8/4 13:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
One issue I have been trying to work through is a replacement Welch plug for the access hole to the tail shaft bearing snap ring. Well I found some on McMaster Carr that measure out to 1.505". However the hole is 1.508. Given that they have a slight dome on them I am going to try to flatten them a bit on my hydraulic press to hopefully increased the diameter to the point of sealing off that hole. We will have to wait and see.

I am going with the original air group to rebuild the evaporator. They said they could not only repair it, but also change out the flare type connections to O-ring style connections in preparation for R134a. I have a work order made and they told me it should take about 2-3 weeks to complete the work. Which would be nice if it all fits in the original Evap box without modification to that or the firewall openings. So we will see what happens.

I was able to go over the firewall and inner fenders again to smooth out the sanded areas. I also got the front half of the underside painted like I did the back half already.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0468.jpg (369.05 KB)
203788_61118e8d803a2.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2021/8/9 15:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
Quote:

CarFreak wrote:

I also picked up the resurfaced fly wheel today. Among other parts I ordered for the manual transmission:
Pilot bearing: MRC 204SF
clutch disc: NCF ND4220 (60s chevy truck)
Pressure plate: NCF 1107027 (71 ford F100 w/ 302)
clutch alignment tool: CTF-53010
Throw out bearing: got it from Max Merit

I was incorrect with the pilot bearing. I got the wrong one. it should be MRC 204SF 6. I was able to source it from Max Merrit. The one mentioned above has a larger ID. I suppose it could work in a pinch if a bushing was pressed into the ID of the bearing that was closer fitting to the OD of the trans input shaft.

Posted on: 2021/8/9 15:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I am going with the original air group to rebuild the evaporator. They said they could not only repair it, but also change out the flare type connections to O-ring style connections in preparation for R134a. I have a work order made and they told me it should take about 2-3 weeks to complete the work. Which would be nice if it all fits in the original Evap box without modification to that or the firewall openings. So we will see what happens.

Are they going to spec or supply a new pressure drop sensing evaporator valve compatible with the large evaporator with the change in fittings or is that type of valve still needed with the R134a or actually, I wonder if it was ever really needed. I had read in an old AC book the reason Packard and other mfgs with large evaporators used that type valve was because the pressure drop was so great a regular valve had erratic operation and periodic flooding of refrigerant so engineers felt extra sensing was needed. Maybe modern valves are much better. Are you going with an electrical thermostat and cycling clutch for the temp control or is the modulator fixed temp valve Packard used still in the picture?

Posted on: 2021/8/9 15:40
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:

Are they going to spec or supply a new pressure drop sensing evaporator valve compatible with the large evaporator with the change in fittings or is that type of valve still needed with the R134a or actually, I wonder if it was ever really needed. I had read in an old AC book the reason Packard and other mfgs with large evaporators used that type valve was because the pressure drop was so great a regular valve had erratic operation and periodic flooding of refrigerant so engineers felt extra sensing was needed. Maybe modern valves are much better. Are you going with an electrical thermostat and cycling clutch for the temp control or is the modulator fixed temp valve Packard used still in the picture?

Those are good questions. That is something I am going to have to ask. I was planning on going with an off the shelf expansion valve. But I may need to rethink that. I was not planning on using the old packard valve, I was hopping the only "packard part" I needed to use was the evaporator and just get modern equivalents for everything else. Do you have the source for your information so I can use that as a talking point when I bring it up to them?

Posted on: 2021/8/9 15:47
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The book is entitled Auto Air Conditioning for Auto Mechanics by John Sensenig Jr. Published by Liaison Engineering Services and distributed by Remac Corporation of Dallas, Tx. I find no information on publish date but expect it is long out of print.

Here are a couple of photos of the 4 pages on the expansion valve. My scanner decided to be temperamental after the last software update so can't scan them. To make it worse, you probably will struggle to read the pages in the photos. If you can make them out the bit on why the externally sensed valve was needed with large evaporators is detailed fairly well on the third page next to the illustrations. The erratic action and flooding symptom was mentioned in another book's troubleshooting section on expansion valves and I don't remember where exactly that was.

As I said, maybe there was a limitation in the old valves or maybe R134a has different characteristics and that type valve won't be needed.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_2472.jpeg (222.78 KB)
209_6111afe4d5b26.jpeg 1280X839 px

jpeg  IMG_2474.jpeg (173.39 KB)
209_6111afee9bc19.jpeg 1280X943 px

Posted on: 2021/8/9 17:41
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
The book is entitled Auto Air Conditioning for Auto Mechanics by John Sensenig Jr. Published by Liaison Engineering Services and distributed by Remac Corporation of Dallas, Tx. I find no information on publish date but expect it is long out of print.

Here are a couple of photos of the 4 pages on the expansion valve. My scanner decided to be temperamental after the last software update so can't scan them. To make it worse, you probably will struggle to read the pages in the photos. If you can make them out the bit on why the externally sensed valve was needed with large evaporators is detailed fairly well on the third page next to the illustrations. The erratic action and flooding symptom was mentioned in another book's troubleshooting section on expansion valves and I don't remember where exactly that was.

As I said, maybe there was a limitation in the old valves or maybe R134a has different characteristics and that type valve won't be needed.

If I read that correctly it sounds like I just need an external equalized expansion valve if I have a pressure drop greater than 5 lbs (as opposed to an internally equalized valve). Which may mean I need additional plumbing of the refrigerant to the valve... Ill ask them and see what they have to say! thanks!

Posted on: 2021/8/10 8:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The original expansion valve had a small port on the suction side tube out of the evaporator for the sensing. That is the top tube in this photo where you can see the small hole on the side of the fitting. The bottom photo shows the expansion valve with the sensing connection to the top tube.

It will be interesting to know how it works out if they are planning to use the modulator valve for temp control. That was the control method using the obsolete hot gas bypass system for temp control where refrigerant is short circuited around the evaporator to maintain the pressure in the evaporator at a set point. Presure in the evaporator is directly related to temperature so the valve monitors the pressure to bypass the refrigerant. No idea if the Packard valve can be adjusted for the different pressures when R134a is in the system.

There were several temp control methods used back in the day and gas bypass was just one of them that remained popular until something better (AKA less costly) came along. I think by the late 60s that method was gone on most cars. For many years it was only the less expensive hang on AC units that used cycling clutch but now almost everything has gone that way because it is cheap to implement and reliable. Also helps on the gas mileage number when you can turn the compressor off for a few minutes. Downside is when the compressor cuts off the evaporator warms and you get that muggy feeling when it blows moist air for a few minutes until the compressor starts and cools the evaporator so it starts dehumidifying again.

Attach file:

jpg  valves.jpg (404.93 KB)
209_61129719246d1.jpg 1172X1650 px

Posted on: 2021/8/10 10:17
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
No update on the A/C Equipment, I still need to call about the expansion valve to get more information on that.

So I am looking at body mounts, does anyone know which body mounts go at what mount position and what orientation? Steele rubber makes them and lists the dimensions on their website to show the differences, but Id like to know which ones go to which points on the car.

thanks!

Posted on: 2021/8/18 15:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Look thru this thread for some general photos and discussion of the body mounts then on the third page in post #28 Brian posted a couple of pdf files that are still available on the server which show the various type mounts and where each type goes.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12008&post_id=124589#forumpost124589

You can get an idea of which ones to order by using the parts manual to get a part number by location and then compare with Steels replacement info. He usually but not always has a factory part number his piece replaces somewhere in the description. Be prepared to do a bit of fussing because unless you are very lucky you may have grief when a slightly different thickness in a mount raises or lowers a part of the body in a way that messes up the door or glass openings somewhere you least expect it. DO take extra care in identifying any locations where steel shims are used along with the rubber mounts.

Posted on: 2021/8/18 17:01
Howard
 Top  Print 
Love (1)

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 35 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved