Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Anybody have recomendations for a car transporter?
Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Okay, the problem is, the car is in Chattanooga, I'm in Baton Rouge, and the shipper I'd planned on using now wants almost double the originally quoted cost and says it'll take about a month to get the car down here.

Anybody got any recommendations or ideas? Or anybody live in Chattanooga with a big trailer that can haul a 633 Club Sedan?

Thanks much!

Posted on: 2021/8/18 12:38
 Top  Print   

Re: Anybody have recomendations for a car transporter?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon...check with the national shippers who advertise on/in Hemmings.com and see what you get. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2021/8/18 17:12
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
This has been discussed many times. I had constant hounding for months after the seller back out when I contacted those online aggregator places. They're cheap but unreliable, as you're finding out.
Some moving companies will haul cars, if they have extra space and loads going your way. So I'd try them, too, LTL rates.
The big time specialty dedicated classic haulers are best but will cost most. Depends if you want to wait or get it right away and what you're willing to pay. aka shopping around.
It's important to know the cars condition, if the car runs or not as one needs special equipment for non-running. Can it go with or without closed trailer, etc.

Posted on: 2021/8/18 19:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
I used Horseless Carriage when I shipped mine from Connecticut to Florida. They were very professional and were very flexible with me as to pick up date and delivery date. They did have to put off pick up by one day but they were right on top of it when they let me know about the delay. I don't know how the price compares to other shippers, but it was much less than the number I had been guessing at. I would use them again.

Posted on: 2021/8/19 5:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Thanks for the input, tried Horseless Carraige as well, they're quite backed up too. I found one company, which, they say, can get the car to me in two to three weeks, a little pricey for the mileage, but, talked to half a dozen companies yesterday and they were all very pricey compared to just a year ago.

Seems the problem is a lack of drivers and diesel prices are much higher now. That's the story I got from more than one person, and honestly, I can see that. So, patience hopefully will pay off, but this is what I get for buying a 6'4" tall car and having a trailer with a 6' tall door on it!

Posted on: 2021/8/19 9:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I used uship.com once but you have to really check on the shipper to make sure they're up to the job. When I used them I found a guy that shipped my car from Pennsylvania to Texas in a gooseneck trailer very reasonable (lower than a semi hauler).

Posted on: 2021/8/19 19:28
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
At the moment, wouldn't a lot of the name carriers be transporting Pebble Beach cars home?

Posted on: 2021/8/19 20:11
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
I follow a "Hot Shot" trucking group on Facebook as my son is in that business. These are the guys with a large pickup and open trailer for the most part although some have car hauling rigs, it might be worth looking in such a group.

Yes rates seem high, diesel goes up, replacing a dozen or more tires, rules and regulations, and insurance is through the roof, you handle money but not a lot sticks to the fingers as it passes through.

Posted on: 2021/8/20 5:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Not a good time to do anything right now.
I've been through boat issues, and can't get much of anything and what is there is priced up. No inventory.
I guess you got a dilemma with the seller and have to move it soon. I'm not sure what you bought, since your trailer isn't sufficient. You must have a tow vehicle then. I've towed several vehicles with a U-haul one-way rent-a-hauler. Just remember to put the fender down BEFORE you put the car on, so you can get out. I had to crawl out the moon roof once. They usually require a proper tow vehicle for what you haul but I towed a tractor that way too.

Posted on: 2021/8/20 12:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved