Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 168

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Power Steering Valve Assembly
Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
Of three '55's, all have leaky power steering valve assemblies. Is this an endemic problem with them? Any words of wisdom?

Posted on: 2021/9/1 22:49
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: Power Steering Valve Assembly
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Assume you are referring to the Bendix system with separate control valve? If it is the Monroe system, those control valves are inside the housing and it is usually the rod seal that leaks. I have had issues with the Bendix power cylinder seal leaking around the rod which is somewhat expected after sitting for years and more or less being suddenly exposed to a dry rod and hardened road debris scraping across the seal. Monroe could have a similar issue. Do not recall issues with the Bendix control valves although I guess any dry seal suddenly put back into operation after a long sit could crack or leak.

Have any of the valves been rebuilt because for a lot of years there were no rebuild kits as such and you were on your own to source individual seals that would fit. Unless you had a service manual there were also no detailed instructions on how things fit back together. I know for a fact some got that part wrong -- including a professional mechanic that worked on a Bendix system in a 64 Hawk I once owned.

Posted on: 2021/9/2 9:11
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
Yes, it's the separate control unit that is leaking. The rod does not appear to be leaking. As far as I know all three are original.

Posted on: 2021/9/2 16:14
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1SG
See User information
We have had ours rebuilt twice. Did it thru Rock Auto. You send them in to be rebuilt by the same company that originally produced them. The problem is that they still leak and jump causing the car to change lanes. Next week the car goes to a different shop for a total change out of the power steering.

Posted on: 2021/9/21 21:03
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved