Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 164

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How to Rebuild a Pre-War Engine?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JKowFam
See User information
Good afternoon everybody,

Does anyone have advice to offer about the basics of rebuilding early, pre-war engines? For those who might remember, this is related to the straight 6 flathead that was recovered from the 115C prototype in 2015. I don't know how long it will take, but I have an idea to make the engine run again some day. I have to believe that the details like torque specs, lubricants and substitutions is almost endless and hard to find. Any insights are much appreciated. Thank you.

Attach file:

jpg  16 finished.jpg (382.59 KB)
79866_6133e99998d6d.jpg 1920X1082 px

Posted on: 2021/9/4 16:50
 Top  Print 

Re: How to Rebuild a Pre-War Engine?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I believe you’ll find all the specifications here on this site in the Model Information and Literature Archive.

I have a rebuilt 1940 110 engine in my shop but I first rebuilt one was I was 16 years old and there is really not much to it. Just some basic mechanical skills are all that’s needed and, of course, when I did it it was in the ‘60s so no wealth of information at my fingertips by way of the Internet. Between the information and helpful people here and Google, you should have no problem!

However, be sure your wallet’s ready as it is not inexpensive to buy the parts, have the cylinders bored, valves and seats regound, crank ground, new pistons and rings and the rods reworked, not to mention the gasket set itself.

Posted on: 2021/9/4 17:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Can you direct us to the posting about the prototype 115C?

If you are going to rebuild the engine, I would have it thoroughly checked for cracks by a good engine rebuilding machine shop.

Thanks

Posted on: 2021/9/5 10:53
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
John (JWL), -> this way, please.

Posted on: 2021/9/5 11:50
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JKowFam
See User information
Thanks all for the insights and information. I think the first step would be a full restoration of the block casting, for the reasons mentioned and because it was abandoned for so long. In the meantime, I look forward to starting the research phase and gathering all the info I can.

Posted on: 2021/9/5 13:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Before you proceed with just the block, be sure what parts are available. For example, the cylinders may need to be bored to .010 over but perhaps there are no pistons or rings available in that size so best to obtain the parts before the expense of restoring the block alone.

Posted on: 2021/9/5 13:31
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved