Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
72 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 71

acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Those needing door panels.
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks for the info Leeedy. I had previously considered trying to save my door panels, and what you said made me want to see if that's possible. I pulled my door panels out of storage to see what can be done. Pictures are in my build thread here.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/9/5 23:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
Thanks for the info Leeedy. I had previously considered trying to save my door panels, and what you said made me want to see if that's possible. I pulled my door panels out of storage to see what can be done. Pictures are in my build thread here.

-Kevin

HH56 already has given you good advice in your other thread concerning your door panels.

In addition to that, I would try to contact an old-time professional trimmer and pay them to bring your door panels back to life. There ARE still old guys out there and old automotive trim shops that know their stuff. It's just a matter of finding them. From what I have seen in your photos, your panels really don't look all that bad–if you are careful and do them the right way.

You'll need somebody who is skillful enough to know how to handle very old padding, embossings, and overall trim–especially vinyl. And somebody who knows how to handle a heat gun without melting things. There once were automotive trimmer's unions around the country. You might want to consider at least talking with an old-time auto trimmer who is familiar with 1950s interior work.

Posted on: 2021/9/6 12:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead with new information. I just got off the phone with SMS to get samples in anticipation of giving my door panels a shot on my own, and asked about their door panel orders.

They are currently accepting new orders for door panels. Current wait time is probably a year. Judging by comments on their Facebook page I would give or take a year on top of that. They don't require the original door panels until they are ready to put it all together, and they will need whatever stainless trim pieces are on there.

Seat covers are a different story and they will need the original covers for patterns, then minimum 6 months (give or take a year) for completion. At this point I will likely involve a local for the seat covers, but with the correct materials from SMS.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2022/6/21 16:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
At some point I'm thinking of redoing my door panels, just to see if I can. IIRC mine don't have any pleats... just the armrest. And the materials should be pretty cheap (fabric and vinyl).

Posted on: 2022/6/22 8:49
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved