Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 125

Don Shields, Don B, CCR, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1941 180 coolant leak
Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
If I am understanding correctly (I may not be) are you saying to try and remove the inner screw with the hex head?

I will put some penetrating oil on it and let it sit for a day or two. I have to go buy a ratcheting wrench anyways to get to the fan bolts and not scar up the radiator fins.

Next pondering- looks like I will have to loosen the generator to get slack in the fan belt. Top bolt is easily accessible and loosened without much ado. Looks like the bottom one will be more difficult to get to.

Posted on: 2021/9/9 15:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The original fitting would be an older version of something like this modern draincock and probably threads into a 1/4 or 3/8 NPT tank port. Without being able to get close and personal, am thinking someone replaced the normally found fitting with a solid plug. A plug should be able to be removed providing it has not rusted or otherwise become sealed in place. Just take care to use a backup tool on the tank portion so as not to twist that part out of the tank.

Attach file:

jpg  drain cock.jpg (8.24 KB)
209_613a6f30064a1.jpg 225X189 px

jpg  pipe plug.jpg (4.86 KB)
209_613a6f3f4299f.jpg 76X77 px

Posted on: 2021/9/9 15:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
The plug came out easily enough. So easily that I got a sleeve full of coolant up my coveralls. I wonder if a drain cock will fit in in place of the plug.

I got the fan blade off. Not much working room there so I am wondering how on Earth am I going to get those screws started when I go to put it back on. Also, the upper radiator hose had to come off in order to get the fan out of the engine compartment.

I was able to get the lower back bolt on the generator loosened so I was able to get a little slack in the fan belt with a little bit of prying so I was able to turn the fan to get to each of the bolts holding it on. I don't see how I can possibly get anything on the front bolt to allow more slack so I can get it off the pulleys. I'll be back at it in a few days.

Posted on: 2021/9/11 22:18
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved