Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

29tons, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

King Seeley Gas Gauge
Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
On a King Seeley gas gauge, how does the capillary tubing connect to the head unit? Mine is disconnected, but at the top of the head unit is a brass fitting with a small tubular extension coming out. Does the capillary tube slide into that then everything tightened for a compression fit?

Also, anyone know a supplier for King Seeley fluid? I understand a fluid with a precise specific gravity and resistance to fading is in order.

Posted on: 2021/9/18 14:38
 Top  Print 

Re: King Seeley Gas Gauge
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a place that sells the fluid.https://straight-eight.com/product/king-seeley-hobson-fuel-gauge-red-fluid/

I do not know if Packard followed this layout or had exactly these parts but here is a generic bit from an old Motors Manual on the gauge operation.

Attach file:

jpg  K-S liquid fuel gauge.jpg (308.30 KB)
209_61464a9b077c6.jpg 1392X1920 px

Posted on: 2021/9/18 15:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Thanks. I was able to get the old fitting off the head unit, and after inspecting I concluded the tube was part of the fitting and therefore, Max Merritt will be receiving $60 from me for a replacement line. Very interesting this hydro-static gauge. Looks like the industry only used them 5 years then went to electric sending units.

Posted on: 2021/9/18 16:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
[i]Looks like the industry only used them 5 years then went to electric sending units.

For good reason, might have been better if they had abandoned the idea 5 years earlier.

Posted on: 2021/9/18 21:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
The best part of this design is that Ukrainian hackers can't hack it and plant malware in it.

Posted on: 2021/9/19 5:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
BTW, Straight Eight sells just the small ferrule that is soldered in place. No need to run the whole line.

Posted on: 2021/9/19 7:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Well, I tried to fill the KS fuel gauge and I knew I had a problem when the fluid rose to the top of the reservoir without registering in the glass vial. I pulled the gauge out and deduced that it was all clogged up with dried fluid/corrosion over the last 35 years. I filled the vial and reservoir with brake fluid for a couple days without any success and just swapped it out with PB Blaster. I've read online some folks using muriatic acid, but was wondering if anyone has any success with clearing out the gauge with a secret sauce.

Posted on: 2021/11/15 17:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
There are many good formulas...Around Southern Arizona, we tend to mix Automatic Transmission Fluid and Acetone at a 50/50 mix...Works pretty well. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2021/11/15 20:26
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Non-chlorinated brake cleaner is usually my solvent of choice for removing grime. It tends to liquefy petroleum-based solidified matter. It may take a few rounds of soaking. Don't use on plastic/bakelite parts.

Posted on: 2021/11/16 13:56
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
After several days of soaking without any progress, I decided to buy a new reservoir and sight glass from straight-eight. Nothing seemed to break through the corrosion/dried fluid. Looking forward to installing it today.

Posted on: 2021/11/20 6:27
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved