Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 115

Alvin14, kevinpackard, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Question 8 Volt Electrical Upgrade Common?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Billy
See User information
2nd question in regards to the possible purchase of a 1939 model 1700 six. It has an 8 volt battery. My knowledge of someone changing to 8 volts and jacking up the generator output is a band-aid for an electrical issue. Is it common for people to do this to Packards? Are they generally hard starting? My last car had a six volt red top optima battery and it cranked over like a 12 volt.

Posted on: 2021/9/28 5:19
 Top  Print 

Re: Question 8 Volt Electrical Upgrade Common?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
No, it is common to use 8 volt batteries on cars that are worn out, have poor compression, poor connections, or at the very least need to have their starter rebuilt. Packards start just fine.

I kept a log once for a few days on my '53 Clipper shop truck/errand-mobile. I started it 21 times in the space of 3 days as it did its rounds to the bank-store-machine shop-towing dead cars into the service bay etc. Starting is a non issue.

Posted on: 2021/9/28 6:08
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Billy
See User information
Is this something that would make you walk away from a potential purchase ? My concern is other devices other than light bulbs that might be affected by the increased voltage for example the radio I'm not sure if anything else in the dash like gauges are electrical but it could cause problems if so. If I purchased the car I think I would try to get it back to 6 volts using a optima battery maybe upgrade some battery cables Etc

Posted on: 2021/9/28 8:55
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
8 volt batteries are a crutch for tired, old cars that have not been kept up. Look at the battery cables, make sure they haven't been replaced with auto parts store 12V cables.

Posted on: 2021/9/28 9:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
I had an 8 volt battery in my 38 Richards Six for a few years and it was great on starting but caused other issues. One is that the voltage regulator for 1938 (probably the same for 1939) was non temperature compensating and really poured the amps into the battery until the regulator warmed up. The high amps was very hard on the wiring loom/Ammeter as well and the generator was probably lucky to survive without throwing commutator solder. I went back to 6 volt and still have a brand new ( dry charged) 8 V battery if anyone in OZ wants one. Probably OK for a VW. I would not do it again on a Packard. Peter Toet.

Posted on: 2021/9/28 16:49
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved