Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 164

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

53 Clipper Steering Wheel Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
Greeting! I need to replace the shifter mechanism s on my 53 Clipper. In order to do that, I understand that the steering wheel needs to be removed. I am looking for instructions on the process to remove center cap and steering wheel. Thanks in advance. Steve

Posted on: 2021/9/29 15:54
Even the most difficult situations can be learning situations.

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print 

Re: 53 Clipper Steering Wheel Removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't think Packard published detailed information of all the steps but the basics for removing a wheel are about the same on all from 41-54. Removal of the horn ring and emblem being the basic differences. You will most likely need a wheel puller though. Rental places should have them or you may find one at Amazon or Harbor Freight. Those will not look quite like the factory tool and you may need to buy a couple of extra bolts in the size needed to fit the holes in the wheel. Some have made their own threading holes for the correct size bolts thru a thick piece of scrap material.

Disconnect the battery and for the 48-54 models, use the palm of your hand to push down on the center of the plastic emblem and at the same twist slightly counterclockwise. After a slight twist the emblem should spring up a bit and lift off but the piece of foam rubber cushion underneath providing the springy part may have dried or turned to glue causing the emblem to stick or stay in the pocket. If so you are on your own to figure the best approach to unsticking and freeing the emblem.

Once the emblem is off, for the 53 you should see three screws holding the chrome horn ring assy to the wheel. Remove the screws and ring.

You will see a large nut and in the center of the shaft, the contact for the horn. Go to the engine compt and at the end of the steering box you will find the other end of the horn wire connecting into the main loom via an inline connector. Disconnect the horn wire and tie a long string on the end. Dental floss works well. Go back inside and pull the contact and wire thru the shaft and then cut off the string. Place a small dab of grease inside the shaft so you can embed the string to keep it from falling back down the shaft while you remove the nut and loosen the wheel.

Before starting the actual removal, it would be a good idea to have the tires straight and wheel in the normal straight ahead position. If that is not an option try to mark the wheel and shaft with paint or a sharpie. Also, measure the gap between the wheel hub and the shroud so you can get the wheel back fairly close to the original position. The gap is usually around 1/16 to 1/8". Any more and the pins on the wheel may not catch the turn signal switch mechanism so signals may not cancel properly. Loosen the nut and then install the wheel puller. When using the puller make sure to protect the threads on the shaft so the pressure of the puller doesn't damage them. I usually loosen the nut several turns but leave it on the shaft by a few turns so the puller can push against it instead of directly on the end of the shaft. One the wheel frees on the splines then you can remove the nut to finish the removal.

If you are working on the shift linkage you may not need to go farther but it might be a good idea to pull the large spring off the shaft and check the condition of the upper shaft bearing. The bearings sometimes wear and let the tiny balls fall out. If so there is no fix other than replacement. After the spring is off, the inner race of the bearing is formed by a concave washer which fits tightly around the shaft. You can pull the washer up although it may be snug. A tiny bit of grease on the bearing probably would not hurt. That washer also has to be up and away from the bearing if you need to adjust the height of the steering column if the gap is too wide.

To reinstall just reverse the procedure. When pulling the horn wire back thru the shaft take care as it reaches the steering box. It has to go thru a very narrow tube and the connector on the end must be fed straight in. It might take a wrap of tape around the string and wire so there is a smooth straight end being fed thru but the tape cannot be too thick or it will not fit in the tube.

Attach file:

jpg  wheel puller.jpg (230.69 KB)
209_6154dcee5f8b2.jpg 1476X1058 px

Posted on: 2021/9/29 16:54
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
Thank you sir. As always, you had the answer!

Posted on: 2021/9/29 17:02
Even the most difficult situations can be learning situations.

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
If you happen to lose the dental floss to an unforeseen accident (as I did) it's still pretty easy to get the horn wire threaded back up. I used a long length of weedwhacker line, shoved it down the column, out the hole at the end, taped up the horn wire, and pulled it back up. Easy.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/9/29 18:02
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved