Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 154

Packard Newbie, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Lifter noise on passenger side
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ernie Baily
See User information
I have what I think is lifter noise on the Passenger side of the engine. This noise comes and goes. Any advice on what to do to check it, adjustments or replace the lifters, Please Advise!

Posted on: 2021/10/2 9:43
 Top  Print 

Re: Lifter noise on passenger side
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Hi, Ernie,

That's typical of most original Packard V8s.

What oil are you using and what is the hot oil pressure?

In the summer, use 15-40, but in fall, use at least 10-40 and overfill by 1/2qt. This should help the problem.

However, once it starts, it only gets worse. Back in the day, some Service Departments patched the problem by replacing the main bearings.

Today, you can replace your worn oil pump with a kit developed on this forum which uses a new Oldsmobile V8 pump. This often solves the problem for most owners. PM me if you are interested.

jack vines

Posted on: 2021/10/2 10:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Our '55 starting have an intermittent running rough problem. I thought it might be the carburetor and asked a retired person who owned a carb shop to have him give me his opinion. He felt it was a sticky lifter based on the noise the carb made when it idled rough.

His suggestion was to drain a quart of oil from and add a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil. Start it up and let it idle for 15 minutes or so and then let it cool down. Then repeat the cycle 4 to six times to see if things got better. After about 3 times the problem went away. I did it 3 more time and the issues has never reoccurred.

Initially, I had my doubts that it would work, but it was to easy and cheap not to try so I did.

Posted on: 2021/10/2 17:39
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ernie Baily
See User information
Yea, My plan is to change the oil,filter and put a quart of the Marvel Mystry oil in again and then drive it for a while and change the oil again. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Attach file:

jpg  Jerrys 56 Packard 400.JPG (311.54 KB)
225093_6160582c48dd6.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/10/8 9:40
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved