Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 95

Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Pay Day
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
This image is making the rounds. Paycheck stub from 1939. O.A.B. - Old Age Benefit?

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_2924.jpeg (148.28 KB)
565_6159e22460c1c.jpeg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2021/10/3 12:03
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Re: Pay Day
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Yup. Social Security 1% of pay in 1939.

Posted on: 2021/10/4 12:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is that a good wage by industry standards? I read somewhere that Packard wasn't known for high wages and with $1 then worth $19.68 today,https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/1939?amount=1 $45.54 works out to a take home of $896 and change. I guess if they had union pay scale for all workers then it would be but wonder if that is a weeks pay or did they pay less often and the check was only issued in the week that is listed.

Posted on: 2021/10/4 12:26
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The wage for a pipefitter at GM in 1939 was $44.00 assuming a 40 hour week. So, it would appear that this would be a weekly paycheck and in line with other auto manufacturers of the time.

Posted on: 2021/10/4 16:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Actually pay scales in those days were pretty generous. For example change a front universal drive shaft on a modern pickup pays a paltry 45 minutes. In 1940, Packard was paying 45 minutes to change the rear U-joint which is a bolt. They make the cars harder to work on but don't change the pay.

My joke is you have three lazy bum managers sitting at a bar, eating doughnuts, and gaining weight. One says they can reduce labor costs by paying two tenths for everything. The next bum says that will reduce paperwork costs.
The next one says that will save money by making the flat rate book one sheet of paper.

As well, today's fake interest rate, soak the poor monetary policies has real wages declining again and again. Remember the Weimar republic and what happened there.

Posted on: 2021/10/5 8:03
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved