Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1948 Packard Super Eight Victoria Convertible ( New to Me)
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Rob Rose
See User information
I just bought this from the Hempken Collection in Iowa where I gather it has been since 1966. It is on its way to Southern Pines NC. Looking for recommended sources for hoses, belts, tune up parts, gaskets, hydraulic parts, hubcaps etc. Thanks for any help in advance. rob@robrose.com if easier.

Attach file:

jpg  1948engine.jpg (227.65 KB)
225177_615c6101d16f0.jpg 1242X908 px

Posted on: 2021/10/5 9:27
1925 Packard 326 Runabout
1948 Packard Super Eight Victoria Convertible.
1948 Chrysler Windsor Highlander Sedan
1931 Ford Model A Tudor
1994 Toyota Land Cruiser
1968 Honda CB 350

rob@robrose.com
 Top  Print 

Re: 1948 Packard Super Eight Victoria Convertible ( New to Me)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks to be a complete well optioned car. Has the Electromatic clutch which appears to still have all the pieces present -- maybe due to it being parked all those years. You may not use it but since so many have been partially removed over the years after Packard went away and mechanics couldn't understand their operation to fix them, having a complete and functional unit is a conversation starter. The car also has the R9 OD which was phased out early in 48 production. Those parts may be harder to find -- even from Packard vendors. R9 parts are unique and not reproduced like the later R11 items which was the OD used from mid 48 on.

Hoses from Napa. You can look thru the parts cross reference here on site for some but others will not be listed. On those you may need to take the old to be matched. Find a hose with the correct bend somewhere in the hose and cut off the needed lengths on either side of the bends to match the old.

Steele Rubber has most if not all the grommets and weatherstrip rubber needs.

Kanter Auto, Max Merritt, Tucson Packards and maybe Patrician Industries have NOS mechanical parts as well as tuneup parts and gaskets. Those vendors and several others also may have some used items. Trim items may be harder to find and need to come off parts cars. Some tunup parts can still be found at Napa so check the cross reference again on those.

If it has the 1" wide fan belt then John Ulrich may still have some repros.

Hydro-E-Lectric for the window and top cylinders as well as workable repro hoses but if there is a problem with the pump and it cannot be repaired, that may be more difficult.

The wire loom looks to be in sad shape. Several repro loom mfgs can help there so lots of options. Prices differ but are fairly comparable. Potomac Packards, YnZ and RI Wiring have been used by some on the site for their various year cars.

There are a couple of 48 victoria blogs in the project forum where others have done similar work to what you will need. They might also have some answers or more options for parts. Here is one of them.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12179&start=0

Also note that far down the road when you go to connect it again, the heater valve on the firewall is hooked up backwards. The curved tube on the bottom should go to the port on the head. Packard issued a bulletin to correct an intermittent noise issue caused by the valve if hooked up backwards. It is interesting that car never was changed -- or maybe someone later on changed the hoses and got it wrong again.

Posted on: 2021/10/5 10:20
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Nice car. I was watching "gun crazy" the other day and there's a victoria used in the movie. When the two "perps" split up she gets into the '48 packard ragtop.
There's another famous George Raft flick "Red light" and he's driving one.

I'll give you "heck" for that universal flex radiator hose. They gave me the "heck" treatment when I showed my '49 back from the grave.

Posted on: 2021/10/5 19:27
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Rob Rose
See User information
awesome, thanks for the info. The mechanic is checking it out now

Posted on: 2021/10/6 13:34
1925 Packard 326 Runabout
1948 Packard Super Eight Victoria Convertible.
1948 Chrysler Windsor Highlander Sedan
1931 Ford Model A Tudor
1994 Toyota Land Cruiser
1968 Honda CB 350

rob@robrose.com
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved