Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 162

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1956 Clipper Turn signal flasher
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Heptig
See User information
Getting back to this now, I have some questions and am little lost.

I have the following situation now, both indicator lights are on when the car is started, the indicator opposite the selected side on the dash lights when a turn is seleted. Left blinks when right is selected left stays on and vice versa, however externally the signals work correctly.

To clarify:
" The dotted lines are only meant to differentiate the 49-52 single bulb indicator circuit from the 53-56 dual bulb indicators." so the dotted lines are not wiring in the circuit?

So if I understand correctly If I selected a right turn, the orange wire would be powered, and because the left front signal light is not powered there would be a ground through the left dash panel light and the left dash indicator light?

"Functionally, both indicator lights get voltage from a separate contact in the flasher at the same time the flasher sends voltage to the outside bulbs"

The flasher normally just turns on and off (Blue wire?) the switch has contacts the send current on side or the other. I see the flasher has a separate contact pin 2. Does that pin provide + 12 or ground? Seems it must be +12 to make the 49/52 indicator work?

This starts to make sense in terms of seeing both dash lights on, seems to me a ground connection to the dash indicators (dashed line if a physical wire?) would solve my problem. getting a ground thru othere lamps makes no sense as voltage distributes across all loads. So I still have my previous question what is the path to ground if its through another lamp that's a problem...

Posted on: 2021/9/28 10:34
ClassicCrusier
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The flasher has two independent contacts. Voltage in via X is switched on and off with outside lights powered via L and indicators via P. The flasher starts its action by the blue wire being connected in the turn signal switch to the bulbs. That connection provides a ground to the thermal element which controls the flasher because it is now in series with the bulb filaments. The element starts heating bending a bimetal contact which energizes the relay like portion of the flasher to bring in the main contacts. When the relay contact closes to light the outside bulbs, the heater is bypassed so no voltage and it cools breaking the circuit so relay drops out. As soon as relay contact drops out the heater starts heating again and cycle repeats as long as the thermal element is connected to the bulbs.

The P supplied voltage on the dotted line is the one which goes to both indicator lights at once but since the side flashing also gets power, the indicator bulb also connected to that side cannot light. That only lets the other indicator bulb get ground via being in series with currently unpowered and unconnected outside bulb filaments on the non flashing side. The bulb flashes in sync with the selected outside lights. That particular indicator bulb is placed in the dash to be the indicator for the same side as the outside bulbs selected to flash.

Not knowing if anything has been done to the wiring and something changed in your car, I am still thinking there is a grounding, poor connection or a bulb issue -- but since I do not know of anyone else using the Napa 12v flasher there is the chance the flasher has some issue just like the Napa 6v version. That one works outside lights just fine but does not work the indicator lights properly. If I understand you correctly, when turning the key on your indicators light up without the turn signals commanded and that would indicate voltage leaking thru the flasher so could be a flasher issue.

I do not have an old catalog to verify the Tung-Sol number you have to what was used originally. Perhaps someone has a reference and can post the number to verify your original was correct. The thermal flashers are resistance specific and generally are very erratic if they work at all when used outside the design parameters. If a number is found and yours was incorrect there is a good chance an original can be found on ebay.

Another thought is since the issue is only with indicator lights, also make sure the indicator sockets do not have a problem. The socket shell must be isolated from any other grounds so there is a fiber insulating washer like affair between the prongs that hold the socket in the dash and the actual grounded shell. Make sure nothing else can connect with the shell and provide a second ground path except the wire attached to it.

Posted on: 2021/9/28 11:12
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Heptig
See User information
Just an update I had a fellow with a 56 exec check his flasher it was a tung sol 273 D, I found one on ebay and that functions properly inside and out so thats the missing item to correct the issue I was having...

Posted on: 2021/10/7 15:34
ClassicCrusier
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved