Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
37 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 36

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

MECHANICAL FUEL PUMP REPAIR
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

auto.nut
See User information
The fuel pump gave up on my '48 Packard and in taking it apart I see where the diaphragm has a crack in it etc. But I am concerned in replacing the diaphragm with an older type replacement which will deteriorate with our stupid alcohol fuel.
I don't know why they don't get rid of it, because it is nothing but problems.
Are there any replacement diaphragms or diaphragm material that one could make one out of, that will work with this damn alcohol fuel??? This alcohol fuel is very destructive to our older vehicles. I don't know why there is not more of a backlash against this fuel. You can't leave it in any engine for any length of time and if you do, you will have costly repairs. Not true with our previous non-alcohol fuel.

Posted on: 2021/10/9 19:31
 Top  Print   

Re: MECHANICAL FUEL PUMP REPAIR
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I think some of the new kits are alcohol resistant....

Posted on: 2021/10/9 19:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
All the kits sold by reputable suppliers in the last 20 or more years are compatible with ethanol.

Posted on: 2021/10/9 19:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I rebuilt my '49 combo fuel/vacuum (and carb) after I rescued it, and I think I got the kits from "Then and Now Automotive". Weymouth MA
But any kit for that model pump just check it's new and ethanol proof. Match to the one you take off.
ps: I've had to buy several on some rebuild kits, because of inferior/wrong parts these days. They'll tell you "we sold thousands" but that doesn't mean they're right. Best to check the old literature to use as a cross reference. I've had to buy some catalogues, manuals, etc. to get the right info. Some are on-line; old manual project, etc.

Posted on: 2021/10/10 8:55
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved