Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1940 120 wiper washers
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Tim Stockwell
See User information
Does anyone know how the washers for the electric motor wipers worked? I assume they used manifold vacuum, but I cannot fine any documentation on it.

Tim

Posted on: 2021/10/16 17:03
 Top  Print 

Re: 1940 120 wiper washers
Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
Vacuum and electric in one unit? I assumed that the entire assembly was a vacuum system. (Coincidentally just replaced the vac line going to the wiper transmission on my '37 115C)

Posted on: 2021/10/16 17:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
Vacuum and electric in one unit? I assumed that the entire assembly was a vacuum system. (Coincidentally just replaced the vac line going to the wiper transmission on my '37 115C)

Posted on: 2021/10/16 17:56
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Tim Stockwell
See User information
Yes it appears to be. I have verified the motor is electrical and it is consistent with the shop manual, the wiper washers are still a mystery. More disassembly of the rats nest under the dash is in order.

Tim

Posted on: 2021/10/16 19:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For a 40, the windshield washer was an add on system and if done by a Packard dealer using the official unit, it would have been the Trico system which was also used by many other mfgs. Not exactly sure when it was first offered as an option but it might have been postwar. There are several mentions in service literature similar to the one shown advising dealers to suggest established customers buy one and have it installed on older cars.

Vacuum was sourced from a plugged port on the intake manifold. Not sure where it is on the 245 or 282 engine but on the 356 it is at the rear near the firewall. From there vacuum is directed via a fitting and hose to a push button mounted under the dash. From the pushbutton, vacuum via another hose went to the washer unit.

Operation was not coordinated. You pushed and held the button for a few seconds so vacuum could work a diaphragm in the washer assy. The diaphragm was pulled up against a spring which drew a charge of water in on the other side of the diaphragm. When the button was released, vacuum was cut off and air was allowed to go to the washer. The spring started pushing the diaphragm down to expel the water. Valves in the intake tube and output port made sure the water was going to the windshield nozzles.

As soon as the washer button was released, you had to separately and quickly turn on the wipers before the water charge was completely expelled.

Attach file:

jpg  washer1.jpg (188.73 KB)
209_616b78c5daea0.jpg 846X1684 px

jpg  washer2.jpg (332.52 KB)
209_616b78d2121e1.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  install1.jpg (442.24 KB)
209_616b78dd4eac4.jpg 1600X1687 px

jpg  install2.jpg (177.74 KB)
209_616b78e81d42b.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2021/10/16 20:20
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a bit from an early 42 service letter announcing a "new" item -- probably for the 20th series -- so it would indicate the washer was available on prewars. An owner could have bought it and had it installed in a 40.

Quote:
but as I recall, the wiper transmissions had little threaded plug were I presume the nozzles went.

I believe the integrated washer outlets first started in 51 although it might have been with the 23rd series. On those pivots you could remove a plug and screw in a small nozzle if the washer option was purchased. There was a change in part numbers for the wiper pivots from 22 to 23 series and again for 24th. The 22-23 change could be due only to the different cable lengths because of the change in motor position but they might have also integrated the washer outlets at that time.

21st series and earlier did have separate nozzles which had to be installed in the cowl a few inches away from the pivots. 22nd series is a question but I think they were also separate. The washer is shown in the accessory book and it has separate nozzles.

Attach file:

jpg  washer.jpg (145.69 KB)
209_616c34ac5fb61.jpg 1118X1424 px

jpg  washer parts.jpg (388.46 KB)
209_616c34bb48b1f.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2021/10/17 9:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My 23rd Series Custom Eight had the washer nozzles in the wiper transmission heads. My 22nd Series Custom Eight had no provision for them.

Posted on: 2021/10/17 11:11
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Tim Stockwell
See User information
This is great news! I am sorry to get back so late. I have been dealing with the death of my Mom.
From the pictures I see an awesome kit one can install. did you do this for your car? Do you know where I can find a kit like this...or at least what parts I need to put one together?

Thanks for all your help!

Tim

Posted on: 2021/11/4 20:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Tim,
Condolences on the passing of your Mom.
The Trico kits seem to show up pretty regularly on Ebay; that's where I got mine. I haven't installed it yet though, as it involves drilling holes for the squirter heads and I just can't seem to work up the nerve to do that. I have kind of done the Mexican roof repair adage on it, in as much as I don't drive the car in the rain, seems easier to not drill the holes! Chris.

Posted on: 2021/11/4 21:46
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You can sometimes find complete original Trico washer kits on ebay. That is where I found the photo showing the parts from. If no luck there, check out some of the vintage Jaguar places that specialize in the early 50s cars such as the XK 120 and 140 models and maybe sedans. They also used the Trico system but with pump painted black instead of leaving it the natural zinc finish.

There are several around who sell reproductions. I bought mine from a place that doesn't seem to have an online presence anymore but here is anotherhttps://www.welshent.com/Jaguar-Washer-Bottle-Assembly-P20760.aspx that carries the washer pump and bracket and separately, the nozzles.

Hose and modern but workable fittings can be picked up anywhere but finding the Trico style vacuum direct operating pushbutton may be a bit harder. You should be able to make a reasonably authentic looking electric facsimile by using a chrome finish pushbutton and a 6v 3 way solenoid valve. Amazon has both but would need to make sure the valve can handle vacuum.

Posted on: 2021/11/4 21:51
Howard
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved