Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 115

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

Re: Packard NO RESERVE auction
Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
My best guesstimation is a tally of $328,050.00. These are the bid winners only. It appears everything was sold with a handful of buyers that really stand out. (see attachment) The forum does not accept .xlsx extension so do not worry about the pop up.

Attach file:

xls 112321uticapackardsresults.xls Size: 12.88 KB; Hits: 305

Posted on: 2021/11/23 9:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Current scrap car price is $225/ton, so if they bid more than a hundred, plus costs, they lost money. I don't think the yards are that dumb. They'll wait for the "disappointed" buyers to bring them in. let them take the loss.
I figured once the word got out, it'd be well represented, that's why I posted previously, hearing from another source since the July post did not mention the auction or collection.
I speculate that the two mentioned were speculators with pocket lined with cash.
Not many places you can make "N"x your money these daze. But won't happen over night either. That's why I wondered why they didn't offer this as one lot earlier. As the old blacksmith said, strike when the iron is hot. These don't come around often, and fewer each year. The Murphy's law of auction says, they'll have not quite what you want, be too far away, or timing not right.
Well, can anyone say when they're going to get ill or die? Some people have a disease about this and others put their whole life into it, only to have life come up and smack 'em across the chops unexpectedly.
I don't like to speculate, discuss what's at the core, repeat hearsay, but the building seems to be a motive force here. Let's wait for the next phase(s). Hopefully, they'll be through the learning curve.

Posted on: 2021/11/23 12:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Yeah I agree on the murphy's law of auctions....

Posted on: 2021/11/23 12:30
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

point
See User information
i felt the auction went well, for the seller and the buyers, 10 15 years ago im sure they would of all brought more, but the times change,those 4 door cars isnt worth anything but for parts cars , no resale value,cars that were worth some money brought money,i thout the Cadillacs
did well and that 55 olds conv its worth more than 55 Caribbean restored, i recently bought a restored 41 sedan 120 and i used it for a parts car for a 41,120 conv. restoration costs and parts are expensive today, times change and nothing u can do about it

Posted on: 2021/11/23 13:01
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John L. Trotter
See User information
Yeah, good to see the collection disbursed to fresh new owners. Hopefully, some young blood gearheads in the making got a project that will build their skills and character to move the hobby forward. Not many cars out there that were 'money-makers' ...for their owners anyhow. But that isn't what the old car hobby should be about, hopefully.

Posted on: 2021/11/23 15:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:

r1lark wrote:
Quote:

Wat_Tyler wrote:
I have to say that I am very positively impressed that the old car folks stepped up and bought all but 2 of these cars.

Do you think that maybe scrappers (sorry, they are 'recyclers' today ) purchased some of these (the ones that went for a few hundred bucks)? Not sure what scrap prices are these days, but there is a lot of metal in those old Packards.

The one Packard in this auction that was sold by my family's Packard dealership (#88, serial 2552-5396, a four door) wend for $300 to a bidder named 'budlight', who I see bought a number of other low priced cars. I don't have any hope this car will live much longer.

Does Wat think? Are you kidding?? Wat thinks all the time - he can't turn the damned thing off.

Leaving aside the animate/inanimate discussion, I would submit that those cars weren't really "living" cooped up in a turn-of-last-century warehouse. Parts are nigh on impossible to find, especially the specialized ones. So if those cars - and most of them will because that what they're good for - get parted out, then so be it. Then, maybe, some working stiff can get his Sunday driver finished, or put the final touches on the next show winning trailer queen. Either way, I reckon it's a better use of the cars than where they were when we first heard of them.

If a person is going to waste time thinking, then try to be positive about it.

Posted on: 2021/11/24 4:25
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I was amazed that someone bought those cars sitting outside in the weather. Ten years ago a four cylinder aluminum engine block would bring $300. So in today's hyperinflation who knows why they are buying those cars? Materials prices are skyrocketing while the central bankers continue to hand out fake zero interest rate money. I wouldn't be surprised to see 30% inflation as the USA goes into a third world country style collapse. I grew up in a different time and I don't assume that everything is coming up rosy. On the high seas if you don't look out for danger at every swell you end up with Davy Jones.

Back to those cars, I knew someone who had two 53 Caribbeans. One had a cracked block so he took the motor out of the other and it had a cracked block as well. So some of those engine blocks might be worth something.

Posted on: 2021/11/24 17:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
They are all worth something. Last I checked, they aren't making any more of any of that stuff.

Posted on: 2021/11/25 5:32
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I think since this auction is closed and so should the discussion. Move on.

Posted on: 2021/11/25 9:55
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Quote:

Fish'n Jim wrote:
I think since this auction is closed and so should the discussion. Move on.

Packard quit making cars a long time ago too…. And yet here we are.

Posted on: 2021/11/25 15:14
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved