Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
31 user(s) are online (17 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 31

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 35 »

Re: Vacation Car - 56 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
So I finally got the expansion valve. Is the differing bores going to cause an issue? I know I am going to need some adaptors...

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0627.jpg (198.69 KB)
203788_6160b697d8f71.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  IMG_0628.jpg (172.46 KB)
203788_6160b6a0bb32e.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2021/10/8 16:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You need a valve sized to fit the fitting and line as well as the cubic inch capacity in the evaporator -- although most auto and aftermarket evaporators today are about in the same CI size range. I don't how successful you will be in finding adapters but the AC place you are dealing with would probably be a place to start.

For a normal car the typical hose or line sizes are #10 for the suction side which is about 5/8" tubing, #8 between the compressor and evaporator at about 1/2", and #6 from the evaporator and receiver/drier to the expansion valve which equals 3/8" tubing. If there is a long run from the compressor/evaporator side or more than one evaporator core then each of those sizes often go up by one size. I believe #12 or about 3/4" is as large as it gets for automotive use. A larger size line than standards will not be detrimental in operation but just costs more. Too small is though because if on the feed side, it can result in refrigerant starving in the evaporator and too small on the suction side and the evaporator could flood because refrigerant cannot return to the compressor fast enough.

There are also metric and proprietary fittings which I know very little on how they would correlate to the SAE or other AC standards.

Posted on: 2021/10/8 17:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
You need a valve sized to fit the fitting and line as well as the cubic inch capacity in the evaporator -- although most auto and aftermarket evaporators today are about in the same CI size range. I don't how successful you will be in finding adapters but the AC place you are dealing with would probably be a place to start.

For a normal car the typical hose or line sizes are #10 for the suction side which is about 5/8" tubing, #8 between the compressor and evaporator at about 1/2", and #6 from the evaporator and receiver/drier to the expansion valve which equals 3/8" tubing. If there is a long run from the compressor/evaporator side or more than one evaporator core then each of those sizes often go up by one size. I believe #12 or about 3/4" is as large as it gets for automotive use. A larger size line than standards will not be detrimental in operation but just costs more. Too small is though because if on the feed side, it can result in refrigerant starving in the evaporator and too small on the suction side and the evaporator could flood because refrigerant cannot return to the compressor fast enough.

There are also metric and proprietary fittings which I know very little on how they would correlate to the SAE or other AC standards.

So I checked the internal passages to the original valves and it appears they are similar in ID. This is for a 1.5 tonnage system according to the supplier. So I dont think this valve would provide a restriction. I can see if there is adaptors, but I am going off of the idea that I will probably have to get some made.

Which port on the evaporator is the input? I am guessing the female connector on it? Do we know the size and style connector type? 37 as opposed to 45 flare?

Posted on: 2021/10/12 15:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might be able to find specs from the place you bought the evaporator that give the flare angle but it could be either an SAE or a Refrigeration flare and both have 37 and 45 degree configurations. You can use a small square to estimate an angle on the male side but it is hard to guess on a recessed female inverted flare end.

The input to the evaporator is the port with the female end and 4 small tubes coming off the fitting. The output of the expansion valve goes there and the sensing bulb or capillary coil will usually clamp to the outside of the suction side or output tube somewhere before the fitting in a place that will provide good surface contact the length of the bulb or coil. The expansion valve equalizer tube will probably need a custom adapter made so it can be plumbed in the output fitting to sense the suction side pressure.

Posted on: 2021/10/12 16:59
Howard
 Top  Print   
Hug (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
This past weekend I got some painting done!! came out very well! Other than that not to much done to the patrician. Did pick up the Caribbean. I started a separate thread on that vehicle

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0635.jpg (241.12 KB)
203788_616f3bbf6761b.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  IMG_0637.jpg (240.64 KB)
203788_616f3bcf23b31.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  IMG_0641.jpg (276.29 KB)
203788_616f3bdc5d689.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  IMG_0642.jpg (210.62 KB)
203788_616f3be52dbba.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2021/10/19 16:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
Things have been kind of slow on this car. Spent a little more time on the Caribbean, but I did get the evaporator box assembled! So that should be able to be installed. Just need to determine if I can get the connections through the firewall with the expansion valve installed or not...

I am going to use dynamat and dynaliner on the firewall since the insulation that was there was pretty ragged.

Hope to order the exhaust from Waldrons Exhaust soon.

Posted on: 2021/11/23 16:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
Only update is that I am working on polishing up the gold mesh that is apart of the grille. I have been using turle wax rubbing compound and Its turning out nicely!! I plan on coating it with a protectant to keep it from oxidizing and what ever else I had to scrub off of it.

Attach file:

jpg  GRILLE.jpg (418.81 KB)
203788_61a69b5e96f8e.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2021/11/30 16:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Depending on what this mesh size is, I may have it in stainless as I had a large sheet produced for another project, using the same manufacturer that made it originally for Packard. Can you measure the squares and the center to center distance between them? Is it the same as the mesh used on the rear parcel shelf speaker? Of course, you can't anodize it to gold but I am curious if it's the same material.

Posted on: 2021/11/30 17:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

PackardDon wrote:
Depending on what this mesh size is, I may have it in stainless as I had a large sheet produced for another project, using the same manufacturer that made it originally for Packard. Can you measure the squares and the center to center distance between them? Is it the same as the mesh used on the rear parcel shelf speaker? Of course, you can't anodize it to gold but I am curious if it's the same material.

As to the finish color, if I remember one of the Packard books correctly the 55s had no mesh and styling thought it was needed with the 56 facelift so the early versions had a square mesh in silver. The book was unclear on the early material but it could have been stainless steel. At any rate, shortly after the silver or stainless introduction marketing felt the silver mesh color was lost and not distinctive enough and was being buried in the chrome finish inside the larger squares of the regular grill. At about the same time Packard introduced their mesh Cadillac had introduced a gold colored insert in the grills for one or two of their models. Styling and marketing thought that stood out so made the choice to redo the mesh with gold anodized aluminum. I remember when the fellow made the repro grill mesh several years ago that there was a mention of a different attachment method needed depending on whether the car was early or not so possibly the first ones were steel or stainless.

Posted on: 2021/11/30 17:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
From the data I collected while I was an active student of them, on the Caribbean convertibles the changeover from chromed steel to gold anodized aluminum mesh occured somewhere after 5699-1040 and before or at 5699-1078.

Posted on: 2021/11/30 18:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 35 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved