Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Is Big Kev around???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
We certainly appreciate your good efforts.
Other sites have more issues than here. They put some kind of speech "police" software on the CLC forum and it wasn't savvy about auto language. I was "banned' several times, so it could be worse. We take good for granted.

Posted on: 2021/12/1 16:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Agreed - thanks for keeping it running Kev!

Posted on: 2021/12/1 21:06
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Speech police was targeting me at the AACA website. There was just 1 particular moderator that thinks only his way of thinking is right. I approached him by PM and told him after what he told me that I wouldn't be back ever. Luckily Packardinfo is not that way: live and let live! @bigkev, this is the best classic car website!

Posted on: 2021/12/1 21:58
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks, everyone. I think sometimes people forget there is not a company/club/organization behind the website with a staff of Web/IT folks.

Photo from last staff meeting:

Attach file:

jpg  OneManBand.jpg (74.75 KB)
1_61a8caa20c1cf.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2021/12/2 8:31
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 
Laugh (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
My son-in-law is a principal in a company that provides services to educational districts. He is up early every school day morning monitoring as users start signing in for the day. He is watching for problems in the system and server issues. The server providers do not notify of problems and rely on users to report issues. I got to see the screen display and it is multi layered to provide different diagnostics. He said it is a Google tool.

Posted on: 2021/12/2 12:16
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I have an external service that pings the server every 60 seconds and lets me know if it stops responding. That is usually the only way I know that site is unreachable if I am not actively on it.

Internally, if the server starts to run low on RAM or HD space, then I get alerts. But 90% of the issues are outside of my realm of influence. So at the hardware->stack->node->data center->telecom level.

All I can do then is scream at the provider.

Best way to describe it in the real world would be that I rent a storage locker. I can only control what happens in that locker.

If the power goes off, then I have to yell at the Storage Company personnel. Then they have to figure out why. Is it a blown fuse, did the guy in the next storage locker consume all the power running an illegal pot farm. Did someone cut a wire, etc. If it's not their local problem, then they have to call the power company.

The power company needs to figure out what happens. Did their billing system screw up and flag for the disconnect? Did someone trench something in the street and cut the line. Is there an overhead line down. Is an area-specific outage, regional outage, etc.

Meanwhile, I sit in the dark, waiting for resolution.

Posted on: 2021/12/2 15:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kev, we all understand your position and are most grateful for all the time and efforts you have contributed to making this THE Packard website. Thank you.

Posted on: 2021/12/3 11:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved