Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 146

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Battery Central Mall
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Since the topic is now about charging and maintaining batteries, I thought I would share this. I hope it's not too out of place!

I designed and built some little devices that will maintain a 6v battery from a standard 12v solar panel. They are not for charging a weak battery but only for maintaining one at full charge although I don't know how they would work on gel batteries as I don't use them.

I did this because normally when I am not at my Oregon shop there is no power so I use a 100 watt solar panel on the roof to maintain all the batteries (some of them also keep the security system powered) but a charger for a 6v battery from a 12v panel didn't seem to exist! Of course, a smaller panel with wires out the door to the outside would do just as well. I built 5 of them and they seem to work but it will be a while before all the testing is done.

Attach file:

png  kifdcnkhcphbcnck.png (963.16 KB)
60923_61ba40b02293d.png 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2021/12/15 14:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Nice idea. A 6 volt battery tender.

Posted on: 2021/12/15 17:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have an AC powered tender designed for motorcycle batteries and it can switch between 6v and 12. However, as my shop is off the grid, I needed something that would work from the existing 12v solar panel.

Posted on: 2021/12/15 17:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I agree with Leeedy, don't use a conventional battery charger to maintain a charge. I was referring to a battery tender or trickle charger. The ones I use provide a low current, 1.5 amps, and one is a 12V and the other is a switchable 6V-12V type. They have sensors to determine battery needs. They are great for seldom driven or stored vehicles.

Posted on: 2021/12/16 19:00
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved