Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 138

BigKev, bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

54 Clipper Wiper Switch
Just popping in
Just popping in

Zim
See User information
Cany anyone tell me how to r&r bad wiper switch assembly on a 54 Panama?
Thank you!

Posted on: 2021/12/28 9:30
 Top  Print 

Re: 54 Clipper Wiper Switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Basic removal is disconnect cable at motor and pull it inside the car. Remove knob by pulling straight off shaft and use the tool to turn and remove the nut. Push the shaft into the shroud and pull on the cable to get the assy out of the shroud.

You will probably need to make something that will sort of duplicate the tool. It just a piece of metal with an opening to span the shaft and prongs on the end bent at some angle and sized to fit in the small slots in the nut. The prongs grab the slots in the nut and the long end of the tool becomes a lever to turn the nut. POSSIBLY if a gorilla did not tighten the nut it can be removed with needle nose pliers instead of the tool. Be careful whatever you use does not damage the nut or slip and scratch the paint on the shroud.

Once the bracket, felt washer, knob and nut is off the switch pushes inside and slides down the very limited space in the shroud and then out. If you have the optional electrically operated windshield washer you will need to also disconnect its control wire. There should be an inline connector joining the wire going to the washer to a wire pigtail coming from the assy. As I recall the pigtail is only a few inches long. It may reach to get outside the shroud or the connector may not be visible until the assy slides down a bit.

To reinstall is a reversal of the removal procedure but you may need to fuss a bit or even use a few strong words when trying to align the switch or help the shaft get back in the shroud hole.

Attach file:

jpg  tool.jpg (23.84 KB)
209_61cb26b0982b9.jpg 1260X154 px

jpg  wiper switch.jpg (166.13 KB)
209_61cb26ce9f645.jpg 900X1200 px

jpg  shroud assy.jpg (52.00 KB)
209_61cb26e14ccbb.jpg 740X900 px

Posted on: 2021/12/28 10:01
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Zim
See User information
Wow, great inforation! Thank you so much! I acquired a NOS switch assembly, so this project will be challenging. Wonder if Merritt sells the tool? If not, I'll figure it out.
Thanks again.

Cordially,

Mark

Attach file:

jpg  20191008_190645.jpg (147.69 KB)
225346_61cc615d96e44.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2021/12/29 8:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Mark(Zim),
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '54 Panama in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2021/12/29 18:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved