Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 122

Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1956 Carribean Dash
Just popping in
Just popping in

Herbybug
See User information
How much could one expect to pay for a 1956 Carribean dash, good condition, without gauges.

Posted on: 2021/12/28 21:11
 Top  Print   

Re: 1956 Carribean Dash
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No idea on price but the dash fronts will be the finished the same for all 56 senior models so you do not need to limit yourself to looking for only a Caribbean dash. The difference is in a single switch and the small name plate that says "Custom Made for xxxxxxxxxx" and placed on the Caribbean glovebox door.

As to switches, on a Caribbean the top switch is installed in place of the rear speaker control that would be in that location on closed models. Caribbeans also had the electric shift as standard so you would want to change the shift indicator plate to the red BRAKE indicator plate if the donor dash came from a car with conventional lever shift. Everything else is the same although you would also want to be sure the donor dash did not have the holes cut out for the factory AC switch and ducts.

Posted on: 2021/12/28 21:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Herbybug
See User information
Awesome information. You really know your stuff!

Posted on: 2021/12/28 22:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin
See User information
Just a random musing -- it seems like there are more Caribbeans nowadays don't have the "Custom Made" plaque than those that do. I'm assuming that either the original owners did not install them, or else subsequent owners removed them?

If you're instrument panel shopping, make sure you get one with the gold mesh insert in very good condition, and also a very good dash pad. Both with cost you a pretty penny if they need to be redone.

Posted on: 2021/12/28 23:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Herbybug,
to PackardInfo. I see from this thread and your other one about the 36/37 front fender you seem to have an interest in Packard parts.

But, if your interest extends beyond parts to entire Packards, I invite you to include it/them in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2021/12/29 0:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Kevin wrote:
Just a random musing -- it seems like there are more Caribbeans nowadays don't have the "Custom Made" plaque than those that do. I'm assuming that either the original owners did not install them, or else subsequent owners removed them?

Owners did not install these plates... dealers did. But the owner had to send in and order the plate. Most owners never bothered. So most Caribbeans never got these "custom made" plates for the glovebox door to begin with. They just were not there in the first place. While a couple may have been removed over the years, it is more work to remove the plate than to just leave it or replace the entire glovebox door. But I highly doubt any significant number went away this way. They were just never there.

Posted on: 2021/12/29 11:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Leeedy, I think you'll agree with me that, based on the document below, it was the dealer and not the owner who was to do the mailing. Of course it was all dependent on the owner being offered the plate and then as you say his deciding that he wanted it.

Attach file:

jpg  Carib GB plate.jpg (254.63 KB)
177_61cc9b894ffe1.jpg 1679X1015 px

Posted on: 2021/12/29 12:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Leeedy, I think you'll agree with me that, based on the document below, it was the dealer and not the owner who was to do the mailing. Of course it was all dependent on the owner being offered the plate and then as you say his deciding that he wanted it.

And... surely you know I have that form, Owen. One Caribbean owner I interviewed in the 1970s still had the form... and the dealer gave it to him to decide to mail in. I still have notes. I'm betting he wasn't the only one. Otherwise all of these forms would have remained in the hands of dealers.

But as I said... it was the customer, not the dealer who had to want the plate in the first place. The dealer could only order the plate if:
1.) The customer was aware of the plate...
2.) The customer wanted the plate and directed the dealer to order it.

And as I said... it was the dealer who did the installing, not the customer.

Posted on: 2021/12/29 13:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Herbybug wrote:
How much could one expect to pay for a 1956 Carribean dash, good condition, without gauges.

No such thing really as a "1956 Caribbean dash" since it was the same thing as any senior 1956 Packard with the exception of the Executive. Caribbeans normally had certain colors (unless custom ordered) but even those instrument panel colors were shared with other senior 1956 Packards.

Ask any of the folks who have 1956 Parts cars and they ought to be happy to make you a deal.

Posted on: 2021/12/29 13:29
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved