Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 111

29tons, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Title for a car that never had one
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

58survivor
See User information
I am in the middle of this process right now. Purchased a 1956 Thunderbird just before Thanksgiving. It was owned by an individual in Georgia which does not title old vehicles. The previous owner consigned it to a middleman in PA where I bought it. All I needed at the notary was 1) the notarized bill of sale signed by the previous owner, 2) the last paper work the previous owner had from his Georgia license registration, and 3) the odometer disclosure. The notary said they did this before and all would be good. They processed all the necessary paperwork for antique title and tags in PA and couriered everything to PA DMV. I don't have anything back yet so maybe everything blows up but so far no problems.

Posted on: 2021/12/23 20:17
Joe L
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
Maybe I got lucky but I don’t know for sure . I was moving junk around in the car first I found a owner’s card from New York 1986 But it said nontransferable. A little while later I found another owners card from 1986 dated 2 months later than the first card. 1 big difference the 2nd card said transferable and was signed by the person that owened the car on the back but not the front. I took it to the notary and she sent it in. I’m keeping my fingers crossed I will let you know how I make out.

Posted on: 2021/12/24 12:27
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

58survivor
See User information
Just following up on my earlier 12/23 post. I just got my PA registration today so everything processed OK and with very little difficulty for me. in summary, all I needed at the notary was 1) the notarized bill of sale signed by the previous owner, 2) the last paper work the previous owner had from his Georgia license registration, and 3) the odometer disclosure.

Posted on: 2022/1/3 18:29
Joe L
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
In NC with my Packard, even with a Florida title and needed papers, an inspector had to come out and see/approve the car and transaction to get a NC title.

One day maybe we will see how that works with less information. Daughter has a 66 Mustang fastback purchased in GA, "may" have the title from former owner, "may" have a tag receipt in her name. Still has the car (stored for one day) but has gone from high school girl to grandma over the last 35-40 years since she purchased the car.

Posted on: 2022/1/4 6:09
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Dmills
See User information
Just bought a 1931 out of CT. I easily got a title in Iowa. Showed them the CT law (no title), and all I needed was a bill of sale and the most current registration. All states title laws and processes are different. In Iowa they are handled at treasurers office. Some sates; Illinois for example, its handled by Secretary of State. Sadly, different staffers are not always consistent. In the end its kind of a risk to secure a title. Last resort is to have the state dispatch an investigator and affix an assigned number. Street rodders are very accustomed to the process.

Posted on: 2022/1/14 15:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
When I was a teenager, the State of Washington tried get me to have a number stamped onto the chassis of my 1940 110 and I refused to let them modify the car that way. In the end, I got the car titled and registered by the engine number although it did have the VIN plate (which I still have). It being screwed on was a concern for them

Posted on: 2022/1/14 17:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
My '55 has a defective PA title (signed but not notarized) and the guy on it is probably deceased. It was titled in 1990; I was able to look him up and he would be 84 if he's still alive. Anyway...

I was looking into titling and in many states you can get bonded titles. Generally what you need is:
- Driver's license for that state (or a friend that can complete the process for you)
- VIN verification by a mechanic or police officer
- Title bond from a title bond agency (they cost around $100)
- Any supporting documentation and/or explanation for needing one (copy of defective title, bill of sale, etc.)

Usually you will get approval from the DMV first before buying the bond. One everything goes through, you'll be mailed a title with "BONDED" on it, but in a few years (usually 3) you can submit a follow-up title application to get the brand removed, if you care to. Either way, the car is unequivocally yours after the bond period expires.

I'll be looking into Dbedsole's way of titling in PA, as PA doesn't allow bonded titles and I'll be surrendering my out-of-state license soon. In addition, I have relatives here with untitled or defective title cars. Basically in PA: if you don't know where the person named on the title is, OR they are too far away to meet, OR they are dead with an unknown power of attorney, OR their power of attorney is dead, then you are SOL. One of my relatives has a title for his car, but the person on it and her executor are dead so there is NO WAY under PA law to transfer the title, period, even though he bought that car from the family. Curiously while reading through the titling laws I found that the penalty for forging a title notarization in PA is only a $300 fine as a summary offense. You'd think it would be more for how strict they are about these titles.

Posted on: 2022/1/15 16:04
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
Quote:

29tons wrote:
Maybe I got lucky but I don’t know for sure . I was moving junk around in the car first I found a owner’s card from New York 1986 But it said nontransferable. A little while later I found another owners card from 1986 dated 2 months later than the first card. 1 big difference the 2nd card said transferable and was signed by the person that owened the car on the back but not the front. I took it to the notary and she sent it in..
Well I guess I got lucky I got a Pa title for the car today

Posted on: 2022/1/26 14:56
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Dmills wrote: Just bought a 1931 out of CT....

Dmills, and for inclding your '31 Standard Eight Sports Phaeton in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2022/2/22 17:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Thanks be to Allah, all of my cars save one came with titles. The one that didn't is a parts car anyway.

I'm currently selling a car (VA to KY), and the application for title had to be sent back to me to be signed and notarized. That one was news to me, but then again, it's out of state. Or commonwealth, really.

I was told once by a former co-worker that she and her boyfriend got a salvage title from VA for an abandoned Ford product of some kind. But that was over 30 years ago, so who knows, but it might be a route to pursue.

Posted on: 2022/2/22 19:06
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved