Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1939 1700 series "6" full engine rebuild.
Just popping in
Just popping in

MattyB
See User information
Hello fellow Packard owners. I have come to the conclusion that my '39 junior touring sedan's engine is tired and needs some attention. So....I have rebuilt a couple 6's in my time but never a Packard engine so any advice anyone has on parts suppliers for pistons, rings, bearings etc or any info/ experiences from "The man who has rebuilt one" would be greatly appreciated.

I really want to do this properly for the long term and have it running like a Packard should.

Cheers and Happy New Year to everyone!

Posted on: 2022/1/5 16:40
 Top  Print 

Re: 1939 1700 series "6" full engine rebuild.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I’ve rebuilt several starting when I was 16 back in the ‘60s and they are not difficult. I even have a new set of +.030 pistons at my shop that I will probably never use. Just got them and haven’t checked to see if rings were included or not. Check the vendor directory for parts sources.

Posted on: 2022/1/5 19:30
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JohnCobb
See User information
Just be sure and find a real good machine shop that will be accurate on the crank turning, so get your brgs and have the rods redone so the crank clearances can be set correctly. . Also figure on having new exhaust seats installed.

Posted on: 2022/1/5 21:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
I did the valves on my '37 115c.

The engine was a joy to work on. I have a '40 110 with a bad engine, and will be doing a transplant from a '47 into it, and then probably rebuild the '40 because it's fun.

I echo the comment above--you need to find a competent machine shop for quality work. Assembly though should be quite straightforward.

I look forward to working on flatheads. I did a couple of Ford 8N's and they were also great fun to work on.

A suggestion: Start a project blog and document the work you're doing. There's lots of attention paid to the eights and of course the twelves, but no one ever seems to take the time to document the rebuild of the six.

Posted on: 2022/1/5 23:13
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

MattyB
See User information
Thanks for the reply mate, I haven't measured up the bores as of yet so we're not sure about what oversize we need.

Posted on: 2022/1/6 2:43
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

MattyB
See User information
Thanks mate. I'm new to this forum posting thing but I will do a project log once I work out how to submit pictures.

Posted on: 2022/1/6 2:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
There is a thread here that explains how to upload photos. Once you’ve done it a couple times, it’s actually quite easy.

Posted on: 2022/1/6 12:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day MattyB,
to PackardInfo, good to see another New South Welshman on board. Where are you? If a reasonable distance I'd like to drop in to see your '39 Six if possible and if COVID permits.

I also invite you to include your '39 Six Touring Sedan in the Packard Vehicle Registry..

Last, but not least, if you're not already a member of the Packard Automobile Club of Australia I also invite you to join the club. Link to PACA Website.

Posted on: 2022/1/7 16:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved