Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 126

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 180 heater shut off
Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Any idea what the correct hook up or plumbing of the heater is for a 1941 180? There is a leak in the hose that goes from the nipple on the water pump to the installed shut off valve. I’ll be replacing that section of hose with a black heater hose from NAPA but the whole thing looks somewhat jury rigged to me. The hose that is (has been) being removed is full of accumulated rust just in front of the valve for about 2 inches. I don’t plan on ever using the heater here in Florida but I wouldn’t mind improving the looks of things a little. The whole thing had been redone in orange heater hose and that shut off valve looks too modern for my untrained eye.

Attach file:

jpeg  799B55D4-EFA8-4B37-844F-4A24F8B6BD7C.jpeg (195.39 KB)
199039_61d7621f35e2a.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/1/6 16:43
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 180 heater shut off
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know exactly where on the inner fender the return hose you show in the photo is positioned for 41 but I believe that should be a continuous length between the heater core and the water pump inlet. Like other models before 48, I believe the 41 shutoff valve would most likely have been at the hot water supply outlet in the approximate center of the head.

Here is a photo showing a typical shutoff valve on a 47 356 engine and similar configuration valves are on earlier models. This valve has a 45 degree outlet and while I have seen some valves with 90 degree outlets, all have had some sort of raised body to ensure the supply hose to the heater core is positioned or directed well above the manifold.

Attach file:

jpg  47 Heater Valve.JPG (20.18 KB)
209_61d77e7e63c40.jpg 360X270 px

Posted on: 2022/1/6 18:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
The shutoff valve in HH56 picture is correct as is the clamp, I bead blast them and leave unpainted. I use black hose and remove the writing or turn it down, do you have the underseat heater? or just the firewall unit. Also I would turn the valve on the head to face the heater, Im sure that the way HH56's is turned. Dell

Posted on: 2022/1/6 21:04

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
I have not done much exploring on the whole heater issue. The car is a 7 Passenger Sedan with vent grills in the back of the drivers seat. The carpet looks like it may have had a leak at some point due to some staining in the carpetting. If there was originally no cut off except the valve on the block, I can kind of see why they did what they did and where they did. The return hose does go into a valve on the block.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_2373.jpg (126.01 KB)
199039_61d838dccc677.jpg 1280X1280 px

Posted on: 2022/1/7 7:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have a requirement to repair or even a chance to examine that partition heater closely a few photos would be much appreciated as to how the unit looks and mounts. There have been photos of the heater located under the limo rear seat but as far as I can recall never any info posted on the partition heaters.

Multiple heaters were usually plumbed in series with the flow starting at the hot water outlet on the head and thru the shutoff valve to the front or drivers compartment heater core. If there is no other heater then water went back to the cooled water return side of the water pump.

If there is a second heater or in some limos, a third, a hose from the front core outlet went down and rearward to the second heater and then from the second or third heater a long continuous run came back to the water return side port on the water pump.

One mistake many make is if a heater core (or the later thermal valve) is leaking they bypass the leak by connecting the outlet port on the head directly to the inlet port on the pump. This is more prevalent on those models with thermal valves and no other shutoff valve. Doing this without a shutoff or any restriction in the bypass hose enables a substantial amount of hot water to flow from the head outlet directly back to the water pump inlet and completely bypass the rest of the cooling system. This means a considerable amount of water keeps recycling and being reheated over to higher and higher temps and never gets to the radiator to be cooled. Overheating is sometimes the result.

Posted on: 2022/1/7 9:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved