Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 150

Aladoc, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

ultramatic transmission oil
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
I just dropped the oil pan on my 1951 300. The inside is nice and clean. Can someone recommend what trans oil I should use?. Should I use the Type A as in the 1951
owners manual? Or should I use Type F as in some of the forums? Or should I use Slick Shift to revitalize the trans
bands? Please help.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 0:00
 Top  Print   

Re: ultramatic transmission oil
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd recommend Type F or if you can't locate it easily, then Type FA which is much easier to find. I don't use any additives, but many folks like to use snake oils of one type or another and no doubt you'll get some comments on their use. With the pan down, don't neglect to clean the mesh screen. I also have put a small flat magnet in the steel pan to hold magnetic wear particles in place.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 8:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
And don't forget to drain the torque converter. To do this you will need to remove the lower bell housing cover. Rotate the "flywheel" until you find a plug, and remove it. You will also need to rotate the unit another 180 deg. to remove the second plug so the converter will completely drain.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 10:50
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You probably already know that the dip stick for checking the transmission oil level is located in an inconvenient place. I believe it is toward the front of the transmission on the left-hand (driver's) side. It can be accessed from underneath the car or through a removable cover on the inside floor board. You will need to access it through the inside of the car as this is how fluid is added to the transmission.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 10:55
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You will need to access it through the inside of the car as this is how fluid is added to the transmission.

Certainly the easiest way to add fluid, but not the way Packard pictured it in their various service documents. Of course they always had access to a lift which most of us don't. When there is no access plate and the owner is unwilling to cut the floorboards, I've found it easy enough, though not as convenient, to fill from below using a suction/pump hand gun commonly sold at autoparts stores for a few bucks. Same kind of tool you'd use to fill differentials, manual transmissions, overdrives, etc. from below.

Some folks have made a smaller hole in the center of the tunnel, further back, to access the transmission vent and filled thru it.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 11:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't believe there is any need to make a hole as there is already one there over vent on top of tunnel (Gr 30.8125 in parts bk). Access is by moving seat all way back and then pull carpet down & away to uncover and remove 2 screws. Either unscrew the vent or pry the sheet metal cap off and pull the mesh out.

Usually the kicker is the jute backing and carpet is heavy and bulky--which sometimes makes it want to flop back just when you are pouring.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 11:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Are you certain they all had a removeable cover over the vent, from 23rd series and up at least until Gear-start and Twin? I've a couple of friends with 50-54 cars who swear there is none, though I don't know who thoroughly they looked.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 11:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I know both the 51's I grew up with had them as well as the 54 Pacific I did a few years ago. This is what I'm going by in saying they all did. Don't think the V8's do.

EDIT: it is way back and if the seat is forward, will not be noticeable. There should be a thin area in carpet where jute is left out and there might be a small depression ring.

Attach file:

jpg  (8.96 KB)
209_49bd2f49452c2.jpg 515X96 px

Posted on: 2009/3/15 11:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
My '53 Caribbean is set uo as HH56 stated as well. I pull the front seat all the way back and lift up the carpet to uncover the vent. I fill fill the trans there.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 14:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Some Packard owners have reported good results using B&M brand fluid. Apparently it cleans and rejuvinates the clutch linings and makes balky transmissions work like new.

B&M makes racing transmissions. Their products can be bought online or from speed shops.

Posted on: 2009/3/16 17:27
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved