Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1925 Packard Six Fuel Problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
Just a few thoughts--I've never worked on anything of your vintage.

How's your compression? Seems that if you have a bunch of stuck valves your compression would be low, and the vacuum would be zero as well. Sitting in a museum for a long time might have caused a lot of things to seize up in unexpected ways.

But I'm only a hack amateur with a few decades of fiddling around with engines.

Also, if there are any rubber lines in this, you could see the lines suck shut on the "inside" while the outer shell looks fine. I've had lines (fuel lines from the tank to the pump) suck shut in a similar manner under vacuum.

Posted on: 2022/1/13 11:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Your issue could be that you have a pin hole or slight dry rot crack in any of your vacuum hoses. Even if you by pass the problem your engine most likely will still run lean and therefore run hot.

Best of luck.
Gar

Posted on: 2022/1/17 15:27
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

DuPontPackard
See User information
No rubber hoses on a 1925 Packard except the radiator and wiper
All metal on engine

Posted on: 2022/1/18 0:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...I would suggest that you rig a little one gallon fuel tank, separate from the car's system and connect it to the carburetor with the little tank elevated a bit so you have flow to the carburetor. Then you will have fresh gas, with the little tank open to the atmosphere and if all is well, she will start. First oil in the cylindars to lube the walls and rings, then compression test...if it is good than I'll bet the old girl will start or try to...also clean the points, if they have grunge on them, she will not start...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2022/1/18 10:27
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
If I am not mistaken there is a vacuum "tee" near the vacuum fuel pump and then it goes to the wiper unit. You can plug the 'tee' at the fitting before the wiper motor and try it. The plug needs to be a tight fit.

If you still have the problem then eliminate the end of the tee by using a small aux gas tank. Also check and ensure the vacuum engine takeoff hose is tightly secured onto the engine.

Posted on: 2022/1/18 14:52
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved