Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 423 424 425 (426) 427 428 429 ... 499 »

Re: Various CL Pickings
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Unrelated: I was browsing Rolls-Royce listings on Facebook and found this!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/435624181342077/

Posted on: 2022/2/5 22:00
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Humanpotatohybrid

I debated about putting the 104K miles sentence in and did so with a "little tongue in cheek" sort of way. I also felt the the real mileage is probably in the low to mid tens of thousand of miles.

My biggest problem in trying to resolve the 4.6K is with the condition of the engine compartment. I would like to see a bunch of pics of the under carriage. Being a Spokane WA, which is a dry area of WA, there should be little rust (IMO).

Posted on: 2022/2/6 10:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
In the photos and other than a few worn spots, it looks pretty good but the first thing that jumped out at me is how low-optioned it is. Not even a power seat much less power windows.

Posted on: 2022/2/6 12:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Fair point Don, to me it's worth considering that those options were $700 each in today's money; maybe not worth it if you're only driving it a couple times per year. And Spokane is not exactly warm, fair weather most of the year either. Obviously a Patrician is not cheap but, eh, save money where you can? I would imagine the dealer just ordered it in that way.

Marty, for me one aspect is: if any of us owned this car we would probably be fixing every little thing and making it concours ready. But if you owned a car for 70+ years and did only preventative or necessary maintenance, this is probably how it would end up. Wiper motor not working from old rubber, the capacitors in the radio and clock probably blown from age (electronics usually last only a couple decades even in the most stable environment before a capacitor failure), radio vibrator froze up from disuse, who knows. Even though each of these costs only a few hundred dollars to fix, for a car that's worth only $15k you wouldn't fix them if you're flipping it. Even at the time most of these were off the road in like half a decade so as reliable as these older cars are in some ways, no one designing the accessories cared about multi-decade longevity, same as in today's cars even. Anything from the 90's and up will be an absolute nightmare to keep on the road in 40+ years due to the computer systems failing. I wouldn't be surprised if in 50 years there are more 60's cars on the road than 90's cars. Whether the odometer was rolled back or not, this seems like a normal amount of failures for a car of the Packard era. Obviously no hard feelings all around.

Not cleaning that stain on the front bench just seems lazy to me, though...

Posted on: 2022/2/6 15:18
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Here is a picture of a genuine super low mileage car. When I see one of these things I get out the camera or collect it if it's on the junknet. It's a habit I got from Turnquist who was an avid photographer back when they still made 620 film. He had a huge collection because when he saw an original car he went all over it.

You have to see one of these things to understand it. I knew somebody in New Jersey who had a 56 Chrysler that had under 500 miles on it. It was owned by a Wall Streeter who drove it a few times and stuck to the train. It sat in a heated garage for 30 years. It was like brand new.

Attach file:

jpg  $(KGrHqFHJBME+OfkbgI9BQBbViYss!~~60_3.jpg (66.18 KB)
373_62018c10e7ad3.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2022/2/7 16:17
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
The dash pad is warped like it sat out in the sun for an extended period.

Posted on: 2022/2/7 21:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Tim's post is what I would expect to see in the engine compartment of a 4,600 mile car. I agree that there are a number of things that age out with a 70 year old car, which the owner may or may not opt to fix.

Posted on: 2022/2/8 17:49
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Even on that car there are problems. There is a band clamp. The battery cables are strange. The generator bracket color doesn't match the engine which looks like it has been painted a different color.

So it's possible that car had a bad engine when it was dragged out the garage.

Posted on: 2022/2/9 11:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
A '50 Super Deluxe Eight, looks good in the tiny postage-stamp-sized photos. Seller list incorrect spec's, may be good car but approach with care, caveat emptor:
https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/d/1950-packard-super-deluxe-eight/7443645185.html

A '41 110 station wagon, pricy, solid teak body?
https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/cto/d/naples-1941-packard-woodie/7439076336.html

Steve

Posted on: 2022/2/11 13:21
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Teak? That wood can only be legally used from already-downed trees and it’s very expensive (at least that’s true for Hawaiian teak; we have a small table made from it) but also interesting that such an otherwise utilitarian cars has so many accessories such as optional hood ornament, radio, grille guard etc. It also appears to have overdrive.

Posted on: 2022/2/11 14:28
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 423 424 425 (426) 427 428 429 ... 499 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved