Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Has anyone repaired a gasket surface on an exhaust manifold
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
My exhausgt manifold was leaking. When I dissassemble the manifold from the block I noticed that 1 stud was broke. I took the exhaust intake manifold to the machine shop and the guy said that the gasket mounting surface is very bad and I need another manifold. I called a guy that I usually get parts from he says he dosenot have any manifolds.So I was wondering has anyone ever used something to repair the gasket mounting surface like allmetal.

Posted on: 2022/2/3 18:30
 Top  Print   

Re: Has anyone repaired a gasket surface on an exhaust manifold
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Evening...You might look to see if there is shop in your area with either a broach or a supermill...that can true up the surface of the manifold. Normally unless it is extremely pitted, it can be trued up...so to speak. We do this with Model A Fords all the time. The intake and exhaust manafolds are bolted together as they are on the car and then trued up as a pair...it works almost all the time. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2022/2/3 21:05
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Some of those manafolds are as ruff as the skin on an Elephant...and come out just as smooth as a little baby...Ernie

Posted on: 2022/2/3 21:07
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have never tried it but as long as the surface to be repaired is not warped and the mechanic is recommending it be machined then just to fill pits JB Weld has a product good for 1000 degrees and manifold repair is one of the listed applications. A smoothly applied coat block sanded flat after it cures might do the job.

For a few bucks and some time it might be worth a try and if it fails I don't believe anything in the attempt would prevent a later machine shop repair.https://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-extremeheat

Posted on: 2022/2/3 21:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
I've used JB weld on two Ford 8N exhaust manifolds. The oldest repair is 15 years, the newest is about 8. The gasket had eroded and exhaust gasses eroded the manifold over years of use by the prior owner. Took me a couple of layers of JB weld, then some sanding on my belt sander. My second N had a bad casting by the look of it; much easier repair.

Have had zero issues with it ever since. I use both tractors pretty heavily; one in the summer, the other in the winter.

Also used JB weld on two badly scored air compressor cylinder bores; I got the compressor for free; it had been sitting outside for years. New gaskets and air filter, cleaned up the motor, good to go after the cylinder work. That's five years ago; use that compressor regularly.

I have heard of several steam engines (1870-90 version, think huge farm tractors) that had their bores repaired the same way. That's how I discovered you could use JB weld in unexpected ways...

Posted on: 2022/2/3 23:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
The reason I took it to the machine shop was to have the intake/exhaust mounting surface plained. The machine shop guy said its so far gone till he trues up the surface there will be nothing left of the manifold. I may try to do something with the jb weld I figure I have nothing to lose but time.If anyone else has any other ideas let me know.

Posted on: 2022/2/4 4:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

blue40devil
See User information
Might try High Temp Labmetal. Good to 1000 degrees.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lab+metal+high+temp+filler&view=detail&mid=CA2DCCD45E42C3D6E404CA2DCCD45E42C3D6E404&FORM=VIRE

Posted on: 2022/2/4 8:32
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Rich1028
See User information
What year manifold are you looking for? I have a 29-31 Super 8 exhaust manifold a can sell. Not sure of the fitment on other years/model of Super 8s....

Posted on: 2022/2/7 15:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved