Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 128

DavidM, dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

banjo steering wheel for 1939 Six
Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
I have seen a number of Banjo wheels for sale for 39-40 Packards but no clarification on whether wheels will fit all models.
I believe Flack clarified that earlier wheels will not fit the 39 since columns were changed with change to column shifters.
Has anyone put a Banjo wheel on the Six or know if it was offered as an option.

Posted on: 2022/2/8 0:26
 Top  Print 

Re: banjo steering wheel for 1939 Six
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Others can fill in details on fit and availability better than I but for what it is worth, the banjo wheel is shown in the 39 accessory folder along with other items typically standard on high end but optional for the lower end models. Packard sometimes listed accessory model specific availability in the folders but there is none on the wheel so I would take that to indicate it could be bought for and installed on a six.

Attach file:

jpg  wheel.jpg (301.99 KB)
209_620292ce4fd19.jpg 1586X1018 px

Posted on: 2022/2/8 11:02
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Howard- Thanks for the information. I have had the opportunity to inspect one Banjo wheel and found that the opening for the steering shaft was apx 1/4 inch larger diameter than the shaft for my 39 Six.
I also noticed that the wheel hub appears to be a steel insert pressed into the wheel.
I was curious as to whether that insert can be chilled or heated and removed / replaced with a different size sleeve.
The diameter of the sleeve on the Banjo was also a greater diameter than that of the 39 so they would not interchange.
Has anyone offered different size sleeves with the grooves to inter lock the steering column grooves to accomplish that switch?
Parts interchange on the old Packards is frustrating.

Posted on: 2022/2/8 20:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Ewrecks,
My '39 Six has the banjo wheel Howard showed. I have had it off several times for various reasons and did not see any bushings or 'jump-sizing'. It just fits directly on to the spline of the steering shaft. It's a tolerance fit and requires a puller to remove it, but nothing more. Is it possible a) Packard had more than one 'Banjo' wheel, or b) that the wheel you have (or are looking at) is from another brand? I believe Banjo wheels were popular in many cars in that era.
Chris.

Posted on: 2022/2/9 2:37
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Chris- Thanks for the reply. I was unaware that your car had the banjo wheel but that answers the question as to whether it was offered on the 39 Juniors.
The shaft diameter on my steering column is apx 1/4 inch smaller than what purports to be a 39 Banjo wheel. There is a metal sleeve on both my wheel and the Banjo I inspected that has the grooves that slide over the steering shaft.
I am not sure whether the overall wheels were identical and the sleeves could be changed or whether there were different wheels for the different models.
If you have a spare Banjo that would fit my car lying around…drop a note. LOL

Posted on: 2022/2/9 17:31
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
39-40 110, 120, Super 8.

You may have encountered a 39 V12 Banjo which would otherwise appear identical, but has a larger steering shaft as you suggest.

DF

Posted on: 2022/2/9 21:59
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Darrin180
See User information
Two shaft sizes were used on 1939 6 cyl.(1700). Cars prior to motor no. B6456 have a smaller diameter shaft, than cars after eng.B6455. The later shaft is the same size as all 1939 to 1942 all series,(except 12 ??).....D

Posted on: 2022/2/10 0:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
That makes sense Darrin180, as my motor # is B23002A so I'd have the larger diameter spline. Chris.

Posted on: 2022/2/11 2:40
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Thanks all for the information. Without confirming my engine number, I am speculating that it was in the early production run since it was delivered in December 1938 and the light switch and dash wiring follows the 1938:schematic.
I am also going easing that since the smaller shaft unit was only offered for part of the 39 production run that those wheels will be harder to find.

If anyone out there has a wheel that will work on the smaller shaft ….and wants a buyer…..please PM with price.

Getting tired of looking for parts

Posted on: 2022/2/11 20:48
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved