Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 174

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Recommended gasoline
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I did some checking into state laws and the data has conflicts, but one list says WA, MT, OR, MN, MO, PA and LA require ethanol by law. Next, I went to that puregas site and found stations in those states saying they sold ethanol free gasoline. So this issue sounds like Qanon style bull. However, ethanol is supposedly banned in Maine. So if there are any Maineacs out there maybe they can clarify that.

Opinion on the benefits for modern cars are all over the map. I bought some at a station near me, but the sticker said "May contain up to 10% ethanol". They advertise as pure gas. I will check the data. If the fuel trim goes down and the timing advance goes up that means ethanol is regressive. However, ethanol is claimed as an octane booster so timing should retard, but it doesn't sound like that when I'm driving. It sounds like timing advanced. The data will out.

There are other claims about ethanol being an engine cleaner, but that may be crap

Posted on: 2022/1/28 20:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I'm in WA and I fill the Panama with ethanol-free gas. I'm in a farming community and the local coop has ethanol-free at their pumps. All the local car guys fill up there. I do it for peace of mind on the Panama, even though it may not need it. Nearly my entire fuel system is new. The only thing I didn't replace was the the main line from back to front....didn't see any signs of leaks or other problems. Also lazy.

But for sure I will only use ethanol-free for my lawnmower and garden equipment. Those are much happier with it.

Posted on: 2022/1/28 20:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
There is an overwhelming amount of government material on this subject. If I was still in Dayton I would go to the engineering library and pull the petroleum research on the subject.

Cars will run on other stuff besides gasoline. We run test cars on dry cleaning solvent for example. It throws lean codes.

Here are some items on the subject:

Federal

The energy content of ethanol is about 33% less than pure gasoline. The impact of fuel ethanol on vehicle fuel economy varies depending on the amount of denaturant that is added to the ethanol. The energy content of denaturant is about equal to the energy content of pure gasoline. In general, vehicle fuel economy may decrease by about 3% when using E10 relative to gasoline that does not contain fuel ethanol.

The inability to ship gasoline ethanol blends by pipeline has resulted in the current industry practice of blending ethanol into gasoline at the finished products terminal just before it
is to be delivered to the retail facility or end user.

From The Atlantic Magazine

In the United States, the cultivation of corn for ethanol now requires a staggering 38 million acres of land—an area larger than the state of Illinois. By comparison, the total area of cropland used to produce grains and vegetables that humans eat is only about twice that acreage. In other words, the U.S. devotes enough land to corn-ethanol production to feed 150 million people.

Few Americans realize that to subsidize corn-ethanol production, they are paying almost twice as much for ground beef as they did before the RFS was created. The supermarket price of both flour and rice jumped about 50 percent after the RFS was created, and never fell back. The ethanol program functions as a hidden food tax—the most regressive of all taxes. And the effects on poor Americans are magnified for poor countries that depend on imports of food.

Incidentally, regular gasoline is a commodity and all refiners turn out product to a specified standard. Fuels are then shipped via common carrier pipeline to distribution terminals. Brand differentiation (ie: additives) is made at the point of sale.

About the only tangible benefit of this crap is an octane booster and oxygenator. Useless in the low compression Packards.

Posted on: 2022/1/30 8:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Yeah, but it makes the Greenies feel good, and it's all about their feelers.

I was up-n-over in the country yesterday and scored 5 gallons of 100% mid-grade. Said it was 90+. $3.869 per gallon. The "can" (plastic) to put it in was $25 even. :rolleyes:

Like I need 90+ . . . .

Posted on: 2022/1/30 9:46
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Well, so far nothing changed and I assume the only thing affecting my perception is the cold weather.

Then I noticed a separate pump labelled RV at 80 cents more per gallon. I assume the nozzle doesn't fit the unleaded tank fill, but I'm not paying more for that stuff.

For the Packard Twelve, one season of 80 cents more per gallon will pay for the fuel system upgrades to handle alcohol. A couple of thermocouples on the cylinder heads will reveal operating changes after a few miles.

The government says there shouldn't be a difference due to additives.

Posted on: 2022/2/12 9:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Never believe the government!

Alls I know is my '29 ran fine on the summer blend non-ethanol 87 octane from a station about 4 miles from my house. Switched to winter blend, the thing vapor-locked on the first tank and continued to give me fits for a month until some of the wiser old owls told me to mix in some kerosene to dumb down the gas.

I just filled her up again last weekend, 18 gallons of non-ethanol 87 octane, 1-1/2 gallons of cheap Walmart kerosene, it runs fantastic on this mix and it also runs about ten degrees cooler. The kerosene costs more than the gas, but, it's darned sure proving itself worth it.

Posted on: 2022/2/15 12:24
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved