Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 157

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
I have a transmission that came out of a 48 custom. The original blew and I bought a new one from Kanter or Max I don’t remember . It was installed and on it’s first test drive it blew second gear on the mechanic. So when they replaced it, they didn’t want the transmission I purchased back. Does this have any value?

Posted on: 2022/2/25 18:53
1948 Custom Eight
1950 Super Eight Convertible
 Top  Print 

Re: Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Sorry about your transmission failure. It may not be the transmission's fault for the failure. Perhaps the shifter cover or shifting linkage, or both, are worn or misadjusted allowing the transmission to be shifted into two gears at the same time?

Both transmission failures with the same fault are a good indication of something besides the transmission being the problem.

Packard's shifting linkage was a different design from the conventional designs of the time and required precise adjustment to function properly.

Posted on: 2022/2/26 11:55
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As to whether the damaged unit had any remaining value other than scrap metal it would depend on what and how much was damaged and if there are any completely undamaged parts inside vs what it would take to repair it.

Being out of a Custom with the 356 engine, the front nose and input shaft are larger in diameter compared to the much more commonly found transmissions used in the other models so that would make those items and trans a bit unique. They are still reasonably available though so if the cost to repair is higher than finding another unit it would be good for parts only. If the trans is early 48 with the R9-A1 overdrive which was used with the 356 engine still in good condition then it would be worth considerably more for that alone.

As JWL said, make sure everything else is OK because those transmissions are generally very robust and that particular transmission was made almost unchanged internally for many years. Pay particular attention to the shift linkage at the base of the steering column. Make sure it is well lubed and the upper 2-3 shift lever is not affected by rust or corrosion between the lever and shift tube and is trying to move when the R-1 lever is selected. Aside from the shaft and front nose I believe most of the other parts inside are common to all units from 1940-50 and a few thru 54. As far as I know there are still new gears available so it would be used parts prices for those if it was parted out.

Posted on: 2022/2/26 14:08
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
Thanks for information. Since they did the replacement 4 or more years ago I’m pretty sure the shifting linkage is ok. Maybe I’ll just open up the damaged one and part it out. I hate having it take up space in the garage.

Posted on: 2022/2/27 8:24
1948 Custom Eight
1950 Super Eight Convertible
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved