Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 124

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

what is the function of the water distribution tube?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bear
See User information
Now that ive got the tube out, I dont really see the need for it.As with modern engines, the coolant can just flow through the casting. I can see that the copper would serve as a heat sink, but I just dont see it making that much difference. If someone more knowledgeable about Packards could educate me, I would really appreciate it. THX

Posted on: 2022/3/5 14:02
 Top  Print   

Re: what is the function of the water distribution tube?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
While waiting for someone knowledgeable, my two-sents worth is that it keeps all the coolant from just rushing to the rear of the engine where the front cylinders would get only leftovers. It basically meters the coolant so that it gets distributed more or less evenly throughout the length of the engine.

Posted on: 2022/3/5 15:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is the official reason as described in the 48 fact book.

Attach file:

jpg  cooling tube.jpg (285.01 KB)
209_6223c7457b413.jpg 1124X1835 px

Posted on: 2022/3/5 15:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bear
See User information
thanks all for the information. Cooling tube is definately needed.

Posted on: 2022/3/5 17:34
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
Hello Gents.
When the factory built these engines new, were these distribution tubes steel? When I took my engine apart seen after acquiring it, there was no tube to be found. Just lots of rusty flakes.
Gary

Posted on: 2022/3/6 3:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I'm not aware of any steel ones; have taken dozens of engines apart and they all had brass. Easily nine out of ten were reusable.

Posted on: 2022/3/6 7:14
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
Thanks. I know the car makers save a few cents by using steel welch plugs, that's why I thought these tubes would be steel. It only has to last the warranty, not 70 years. I rebuilt my engine 10 years ago, I can't remember what I put in it.
Gary

Posted on: 2022/3/6 7:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Apparently there were steel tubes made at some point -- most likely an aftermarket supplier and possibly during or after wars when some metals were hard to come by or restricted. There are also stories of unscrupulous entrepreneurs who sold some war surplus materials as quality fluids and oils which did damage when used in cars. One of those operations might have made them and sold to independent garages at lowball prices. You are not the first to comment on having a rusted distribution tube and there are some photos on this forum from years ago showing one with virtually nothing left.

Posted on: 2022/3/6 9:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Interesting period propaganda.
I like the part about even valve seat temperatures and less wear with no proof given. There's an obvious temperature gradient involved regardless.
50K miles pretty much the industry design life expectation of the day. Less driving.
They sold tetraethyl lead on it's ability to minimize valve wear, and as far as I can tell that was often repeated, but never proven. Beyond octane boost, it did lead to fouled plugs and the obvious environmental impact. The "solution" was metallurgical, hardened valve seats, etc.
The "straighties" v the "V"s. There's obvious geometric induced issues with inline. The V not without problems, concentrates the heat, etc.. Today this is designed with sophisticated fluid dynamic software. The days of empirical design are pretty much gone. Marketing hasn't changed as much. The triumph of plausibility over probability for the masses. The search for horsepower and customers is relentless.

Posted on: 2022/3/6 10:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here's the remains of a steel water distribution tube I removed a few years ago from a 1938 Eight (a/k/a 120). My assumption is that it was an aftermarket replacement, perhaps dating from the WW II era when copper and its alloys were restricted due to their crucial use in the war.

Attach file:

jpg  38 120 water dist tube.jpg (125.14 KB)
177_6224e5eb13159.jpg 1271X1751 px

Posted on: 2022/3/6 11:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved