Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 82

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: 1951 300 Fabric Fender Splashers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Yes, It seems our cars are the same.I didnt see the Ultramatic script on yours however.Has your car got the Ultramatic? My trim code is 71a I dont know the difference.It still says Grey Bedford cord stripped.Really its felted wool. Brian

Posted on: 2009/2/22 19:04
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The Briggs body number is the number on the metal little plate that is attached to the firewall near the voltage regulator.

The Theft Proof number is the large embossed number on the firewall above the heater box. It usually starts and ends with a triangle.

The Vehicle Number (VN) is the number either on the patent plate (or simple metal plate 54-56) that is attached to the drivers door jam in later models, or cowl in earlier models.

Then you have the Engine Number which is on the block (not the casting number/part number on the head).

So those are generally the four ID numbers for most Packards. I don't remember when the use of the Briggs body number plate started. Possible when the patent plate moved from the cowl to the door jam.

Posted on: 2009/2/22 19:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Briggs #s started when Briggs took over body production from Packard (1941) and ended when Briggs stopped (1954). Briggs #s should typically match or be within 25 numbers of Packard's VN; large differences in the order of tens of thousands usually means a factory-renumbered car, especially with the -9- and -5- bathtubs.

Posted on: 2009/2/22 19:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Thanks Big kev and Owen,Great new info for me.I will have to write that down for my records.It seems mine is in error.thanks again. Brian

Posted on: 2009/2/22 19:27
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think the Theft Proof number is the most important to have written down for insurance purposes. It is really the only number on the car that is impossible to change without major metal cutting. The Briggs and Patent plates can be removed and the engine can be changed out. But the Theft number is always with the car unless someone cuts up the firewall.

Posted on: 2009/2/22 20:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just excellent advice, Kevin. What I've done is to have the appraiser include the # on the insurance valuation documents I submit to get my insurance. Even just a good clear photo of the # is good protection.

Posted on: 2009/2/22 20:30
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dale 51
See User information
Brian,

I am getting very close to ordering the material from RSSI.

DO you recall what lengths and widths of material you ordered?

Dale

Posted on: 2009/3/11 12:14
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
Dale,
What I found to be a fairly good substitute is the black
rubber type mat available from Harbor Freight that is used as tool drawer pads. It comes in sheets about 16"x24", is about 1/16" thick and very pliable. It is usually against the left wall as you enter the store where the lathes and drill presses are. For fasteners on the passenger side I had to use regular 5/16" staples. On the driver's side, which originally had steel drive rivets, I used 1/4" x1/2" plastic rivets 7/16" head diameter in black whick came from Ace Hardware.

Posted on: 2009/3/17 10:38
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dale 51
See User information
Casey,

Thanks for your experience. Brian sent me to RSSI for material.
My access panel in the right fender has the staples. The left fender splasher is secured with a butterfly style pop in fastener.

Dale

Posted on: 2009/3/20 19:54
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved