Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 164

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Notable clunk from under the car on my '29 when letting off the gas or reversing from a stop.
Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
Hoping it's just a U joint and not something gnarly like a pinion bearing.

Posted on: 2022/3/26 21:34
 Top  Print 

Re: Notable clunk from under the car on my
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

GaryinSC
See User information
It might not need replacing just lubrication. Try filing the joint with 90 wt gear oil and see if that makes the noise change or go away. There should be a pipe plug where the oil goes in. Sometimes guys will replace that plug with a grease fitting, which is not the proper way to lube the joint. This sounds much like the pop you get from a posi-traction rear end where the clutches dry out and stick to each other. They make a posi lube additive which makes the gear oil a bit slicker to get between the clutches. That additive might also work in this application.

Posted on: 2022/3/28 8:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
I pray it would be that easy! That would be some fantastic luck if that were the case.

Ordered a selfie-stick, going to try and get some video of the "pop" from under the car whilst going up and down the driveway, hopefully tomorrow, let my wife walk along next to the car and video what's going on under there. Drove her 8 miles to get some gas Saturday, the pop/clunk is still there, if you go really easy on the clutch it's less notable, much more notable in reverse than forward, and happened to be downshifting into second when I hit a really nasty bump, made a really loud pop then, scared the daylights out of me, then didn't make the sound again the rest of the way home, until I got in the driveway! (about 3 miles). Thanks everybody.

Posted on: 2022/3/28 10:01
 Top  Print 

Re: Notable clunk from under the car on my '29 when letting off the gas or reversing from a stop.
Home away from home
Home away from home

JT120
See User information
Could there be more twist to the axle under load than previous since you removed some of the leaves ?

Posted on: 2022/3/28 14:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

JT120 wrote:
Could there be more twist to the axle under load than previous since you removed some of the leaves ?

GIVE THAT MAN A KEWPIE DOLL!! YOU GOT IT!

I stuck the cell phone under the car today when I got home with a magnetic stick thingie from Amazon, and that's exactly what's happening. The "pignose" is diving down in reverse and the U-joint is fighting to keep the driveshaft in place, thus, the thud! Forward, same thing, it's rising upward but not as dramatically. So, will be putting some Springs back in this weekend if the weather is good. Hate to because she rides, drives, and sits fantastic now, but, maybe adding two more springs back each side will remedy the problem without raising her up again and make her ride like a buckboard!

Actually, kinda glad it's something this simple and praying I haven't killed that U-joint! Thanks to all!

Posted on: 2022/3/29 19:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
How many leaves did you take out if you're putting "some" back in?

Posted on: 2022/3/29 20:05
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
BDC wrote: How many leaves did you take out if you're putting "some" back in?

Your answer can be found earlier in this thread Quote:
1929PackardGuy wrote:.We took four of the ten leaves out on each side and that set the car fairly level, and she rides and drives infinitely better now....

Posted on: 2022/3/29 21:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Rather than playing around adding and subtracting spring leaves and having one problem or the other, why not either have them correctly re-tempered with the correct number of leaves and a proper riding height, or just buy new springs? Almost certainly Eaton-Detroit has them.

Posted on: 2022/3/29 21:54
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Eaton does not list any Packard springs of that vintage - or Packard springs of any vintage on their website for that matter. If anyone does have new ones, I would gladly buy them if the price wasn't sky-high.

The way they were, the car was absolutely rigid in the back. I couldn't find any spring shop here in the Baton Rouge area who would even quote me a price on de-arching the springs because no one wanted to mess with it - thus the removal of leaves.

I will add two back to each side and I beleive that will add enough support. It will bring the rear of the car back up a bit and make the ride a little worse, again, but, it's the cheapest and easiest thing to do in my case. Believe me, I'm not a fan of removing or adding springs either, but, it was either this or continue driving a car that was beating me to death and jumping all over the road.

Posted on: 2022/3/30 8:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
This is a close up of how high and stiff she was sitting. And, now of course. Going to have to find a happy in-between!

Attach file:

jpg  X29side.jpg (26.46 KB)
224949_6244620810972.jpg 388X549 px

jpg  IMG_5865.JPG (381.19 KB)
224949_624462643a915.jpg 1920X1280 px

Posted on: 2022/3/30 9:00
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved