Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 165

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 100 101 102 (103) 104 105 106 ... 146 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I started disassembling it, but ran into a problem with the key. I can't get it out and I don't want to ruin anything. Any tips on how to remove? I assumed it would just be sitting inside the slot, but it feels like it's glued in or something.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  Key stuck.jpg (113.94 KB)
1059_6245b95bd745a.jpg 768X1024 px

Posted on: 2022/3/31 9:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Keys like that are hardened and difficult to damage so I’ve generally just tapped them from the end or used a large screw driver to lift them up. Some people might use a little penetrant but I’ve never found it necessary.

Posted on: 2022/3/31 10:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I think those are a half moon key. Try tapping down on one end of it. See if it starts to come up on the other end then.

Posted on: 2022/3/31 10:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Gently tap one end down so as the rock the other end up. Then it should be easier to pry the other end out. Repeat if or as necessary.

Posted on: 2022/3/31 10:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Here's an uneducated guess: WDE40 or Kroil or Blaster penetrating oil, and if you think it's glued, try some lacquer thinner. Besides rusting together, I think that the molecules of tight fitting metals migrate into one another over periods of time. I think it should come out towards you, not towards the car. I don't think there's anything locking it in place other than a tight fit.

I'd just let it soak a bit.

Now hopefully an expert will chime in.

Posted on: 2022/3/31 10:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks for the tips. I tried prying it up with screwdriver and pliers, but the screwdriver was starting to dig into the key, so I backed off. I'll hit it with some penetrant or lacquer thinner tonight, then take a hammer to it.

Once the key is out, disassembling the rest will be quick and I can take the parts down to NAPA to compare to new ones. I hope to have the generator back in the car (with a new belt) by this weekend.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2022/3/31 12:16
 Top  Print   

Re: KPack
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
It's OK to mess it up a little, Just take it to office and use a sandpaper disk to smooth the scares off. Dell

Posted on: 2022/3/31 16:33

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I was able to get the key out last night. Penetrating fluid helped, then tapping with a hammer, then brute force and some finesse with a screwdriver as a lever. Just like taking teeth out.

I can't get the screws to move to remove the magnets for cleaning. I'll just clean what I can reach. I disassembled everything else off the casing that I could, cleaned and painted. I was hoping to sandblast the other parts (end caps and pulley) but my sandblaster is not working well. Probably need to change the media. Going to NAPA today to get replacement parts, then reassemble and back on the car.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  Generator front bearing.jpg (132.15 KB)
1059_6247238790c1f.jpg 768X1024 px

jpg  Repainted generator.jpg (86.09 KB)
1059_6247239218861.jpg 768X1024 px

Posted on: 2022/4/1 11:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Looks great!

Posted on: 2022/4/1 11:51
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Generator cleaned up nicely. New front bearing, rear bushing and brushes should serve you well.

Usually the field coils are not removed for an overhaul.

New commutator end housings with bushings used to be available. The bushing can be replaced in the end housing, but not a straight forward task. Get a new housing with bushing if at all possible.

Don't forget to undercut the mica sections between the armature's commutator copper bars after resurfacing. If you have this job done - "turning the armature" - by a shop they should do this.

Posted on: 2022/4/1 12:45
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 100 101 102 (103) 104 105 106 ... 146 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved