Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 115

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 31 »

Re: Mike's 53 Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
So beautiful to see them both united at one photograph.

Posted on: 2022/4/3 4:41
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
So did Ross replace the windshield? If so, I'm glad he was able to do that. I didn't have to take off the wiper towers completely when I did mine, but I did have to loosen them up some. Enough to get the trim out and move the glass and gasket around them.

Did Ross put the upper and side trim in the gasket before installing the windshield? I installed mine after and it was rough.

Car looks great!

-Kevin

Posted on: 2022/4/3 12:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Ross, or his glass guy installed a used windshield and the upper and side trim and used some caulking around it to hopefully seal it up. The job looks professional. I think the seal is of course a little different than the original seal, since I had to cut the lower trim to fit around the A pillar trim.
I'll be happy when the wipers are working again. Hope I only need them for the inspection.

I need a side mirror, and found this one.
It says the base is 1.5 inch (37mm) wide, which I think might be a bit wide, but may try anyway. Any thoughts from coupe/Cabrio owners? I thought I could use the same clip on style as on the clipper, but that doesn't fit.
mirror

Hi Gerd! I think these two packards will stay close for many years

Posted on: 2022/4/3 15:31
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Re: Mike
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I'm pretty sure those are the same mirrors I have on mine. They work well enough. I mounted mine to the doors because there were already holes in the doors from a previous owner that I needed to cover up. Technically the mirrors are supposed to be mounted on the stainless, and you might be able to get that to work, but will probably need to either notch the base of the mirror to fit the contours of the stainless, or make a custom gasket.

I had holes on both doors, so I have a passenger side mirror also. It's mostly useless.

The mirrors blend well enough with the lines and style of the car. They aren't terribly noticeable when looking at the car. So should look good enough on the Caribbean.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2022/4/3 20:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
The mirrors do look good on your car. I just ordered one mirror, and a few other things....I will see if I can get it to look good on the stainless. Or, I wonder if I could somehow use a few strong magnets just to mount it to the door like on your car.

Posted on: 2022/4/4 16:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
If you want to make an omlet, you have to break a few eggs.
I drilled through the trim, and mounted the mirror in the stock style location. Looks good to me!
I am focusing on wiring next. H4 headlights, different parking lights, reverse lights and a 4 way blinker setup....trying to use cloth covered wire to be accurate with the wires I replace.

Attach file:

jpg  20220406_213926.jpg (172.00 KB)
657_624dfd1f7b1df.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/4/6 15:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Nice! If I didn't already have mounting holes in my doors I would've loved to mount my mirrors on the trim. What did you do for a weather seal?

-Kevin

Posted on: 2022/4/6 17:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It looks great! I have a pair of those (or very similar) for my 1956 Clipper but apparently on the V8 models it was door or fender mounted. I have the 1951-1954 trim with the holes and seem to recall that one was large but don’t remember why.

Posted on: 2022/4/6 19:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
The large hole in the trim is for a plug like casting that screwed into the door sheet metal into which (if I remember correctly) an adapter attached, the adapter had mounting holes for the mirror.

Posted on: 2022/4/6 19:19

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Weather seal?
I didn't do anything for a weather seal. I just screwed it right on there. I guess I should check if there is a plastic membrane between the inside of the door and the upholstery. The part of the door where the mirror is screwed onto is already full of holes from the trim, so I think 2 more screw holes will not make a difference.

Posted on: 2022/4/7 6:59
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 31 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved