Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 146

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1932 cylinder head distributor mount?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks Dave... I KNEW you'd have harder information than my probably-poorly-educated guess! Happy New Year to you and yours. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/1/1 21:09
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Steve L. 32 Phaeton
See User information
Hello Rob, I have a 32 Phaeton. You questioned the two chrome knobs on the dash, the left-hand one is the choke, the right hand is the cigar lighter. The ride control is a large knob down parallel to the steering column. I have the red knob on the steering wheel, for the vacuum clutch arrangement. The distributor has the centrifugal weights, with no automatic or cockpit adjustable advance for starting. Just the spring loaded detent to rotate the whole distributor. This helps quite a bit when starting, but I’m trying to figure out why it’s so hard to start it when it’s hot, in the normal forward run Detent position, Steve

Posted on: 2022/4/6 14:52
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

GaryinSC
See User information
I have two knobs on my 32 901 steering wheel, the right one is the throttle but the left one is dead and not connected to anything. I believe this was for the spark advance and a carry over from the 31. I too have the distributor detent but mine is in the left position all the time. Can someone explain why it has two positions ? I also had a hard starting hot issue but now resolved with a new larger cable between the solenoid and the starter ( key start ) on my car in place of the floor button. Car always starts cold or hot and never use the choke. I also have one of the new Packard Carbs which works beautifully.

Attach file:

jpg  Distributor Detent.jpg (157.00 KB)
165673_624ee5ec15da6.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/4/7 8:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
The 32 901 left knob on the steering wheel is for the running lights, headlights low & high. There is a control rod running from the left knob to an electrical switch housing at the bottom end of the steering column. The car wiring harness enters the metal housing and is connected to multiple switched connections inside the housing.

The two positions on the distributor housing allow you to easily retard the timing by pulling the pin out and then rotating the distributor to the other de-tent position.

Retarding the timing means the plug fires later in the compression stroke (closer to TDC). Retarding the timing can help reduce detonation.

Depending on what de-tent position you initially set the timing in you could also pull the pin, rotate the distributor for more advance.

Advancing the ignition timing means the plug fires earlier in the compression stroke (before TDC). Advancing ignition timing typically helps raise the high-end power while reducing the low end. It also helps get the spark past the ignition delay and run at peak power.

Posted on: 2022/4/10 12:51
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved