Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 35 »

Re: Vacation Car - 56 Patrician
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My comments on pulleys are by observation but there could be errors if a car had been modified somewhere along the line. If Leeedy sees this he might have some better or more definitive information

The fan and generator pulley is on all cars and that first groove is part of the damper and not removable. If the car had power steering only there is the stamped steel pulley that just slips inside the damper cavity and keys to the damper for the second groove.

For cars with AC there can be one of two types of pulleys. Aftermarket mfgs such as ARA who made the trunk unit which was so common and for whatever reason frequently is called factory (which it is not) had their own slightly smaller single groove cast pulley and it just went into the standard stamped steel PS pulley for the third groove in a fully optioned car. I believe later 56 cars made toward the very end with factory AC also used this setup based on what has been found on some engines in late cars with factory AC-- but I have no proof of that. Something similar may have also been used if the car had AC but no PS. This single groove pulley was also repro'd by a member of the Stude club a few years back.

If the 55 and most 56 cars had both PS and AC, the stamped steel PS pulley was replaced by a two groove cast iron pulley with the two different diameter grooves. It too just slips inside the vibration damper for the total of 3 grooves. Spacers and different length bolts to the crankshaft was used, depending on the pulley combination, on all engines for a solid attachment.

In your situation the aux pulleys should pull out with little effort. If not, I suspect someone has done something odd.

Posted on: 2022/4/9 18:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
My comments on pulleys are by observation but there could be errors if a car had been modified somewhere along the line. If Leeedy sees this he might have some better or more definitive information

The fan and generator pulley is on all cars and that first groove is part of the damper and not removable. If the car had power steering only there is the stamped steel pulley that just slips inside the damper cavity and keys to the damper for the second groove.

For cars with AC there can be one of two types of pulleys. Aftermarket mfgs such as ARA who made the trunk unit which was so common and for whatever reason frequently is called factory (which it is not) had their own slightly smaller single groove cast pulley and it just went into the standard stamped steel PS pulley for the third groove in a fully optioned car. I believe later 56 cars made toward the very end with factory AC also used this setup based on what has been found on some engines in late cars with factory AC-- but I have no proof of that. Something similar may have also been used if the car had AC but no PS. This single groove pulley was also repro'd by a member of the Stude club a few years back.

If the 55 and most 56 cars had both PS and AC, the stamped steel PS pulley was replaced by a two groove cast iron pulley with the two different diameter grooves. It too just slips inside the vibration damper for the total of 3 grooves. Spacers and different length bolts to the crankshaft was used, depending on the pulley combination, on all engines for a solid attachment.

In your situation the aux pulleys should pull out with little effort. If not, I suspect someone has done something odd.

Thank you for that… yea that’s my issue the front two pulleys that you said is cast isn’t able to be removed… so any idea on where to get that double groove pulley? Or the member who reproed that pulley?

Thank you

Posted on: 2022/4/9 19:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is an original 2 groove cast pulley on ebay now but it is pricy -- although only about $100 more than the repro single pulley was priced.

I am not sure but I think the ebay pulley from walters-old-stuff might actually be part of Packards Southwest inventory because looking at their other items I recognize some AC parts that had been previously offered by Gerry at PackardsSouthwest. They are both in San Diego so you might check with them to see if they have any single pulleys. At one time I think Gerry did.

As to the repro pulley, I do not know if it is still available or even if Jack Nordstrom is still around. All the info on his pulleys and brackets has been removed from the 56 Golden Hawk site. If no one here has any current information you might ask a question on the Studebaker forum about Jack Nordstrom and his 56 Packard engine repro pulleys to see if anyone there knows if they are still available.

At one time Jack Vines had either some compressor brackets or maybe it was pulleys so you might check with him to see if any are available.

Attach file:

jpg  pulley.jpg (89.63 KB)
209_625231009ab76.jpg 2454X832 px

Posted on: 2022/4/9 20:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

5540Packards
See User information
I am glad I purchased the 3 groove pulley for my 55 400 when I did now $300 doesn't seem like a bad price.

Posted on: 2022/4/9 22:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
Thank you for that information. I have sourced a pulley and I am going to start talks on trying to get it shipped here.

Other work this weekend included getting the compressor bracket on and the oil filter housing relocated. I need to make up one more oil line and that can be done.

I got the brakes finished up with new wheel cylinders. All the brake lines are now connected.

I repacked the front wheel bearings and noticed I need new inner seals. I also noticed the drivers side outer bearing race is sliding in the hub... that is not good. However I was toying with the idea of going disc brakes up front and a dual chamber master cylinder. I would feel better with those modifications given my intended useage. but still have plenty of research to do on that.

I was able to paint and install the lower bellhousing as well.

Posted on: 2022/4/11 11:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I’ve lost track - are you putting the compressor on the stock bracket into the factory position on the driver’s side and relocating the oil filter to the passenger side? If so, I have a pair of the relocation steel lines at my Oregon shop. They are reproductions and not tested for fit so might need some tweaking but should be very close.

Posted on: 2022/4/11 11:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
yes I am putting a compressor on the stock bracket that relocates the oil filter to the passenger side. and that would be awesome!

Posted on: 2022/4/11 14:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
Is there a place to get a boot for the clutch fork? Basically the seal that seals the clutch fork to the bellhousing. I dont see it listed on kanter or steele rubber

Posted on: 2022/4/11 14:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Check with Max Merritt and do a search for group 3.125 throw out lever boot in the 55-6 catalog. Be advised if the later item is made like the 47 boot then it is sewn leather and there may not have been enough space left to get the lever arm thru the boot opening. You may need to split open a seam to get the extra.

Not sure if the 55-6 boot is the same shape or attaches to the bellhousing the same way as the 47 but if so I think it is only the leather boot that will arrive. In that case you may need to reuse the old attachment spring or fabricate something if yours is missing.

Posted on: 2022/4/11 14:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
yes I am putting a compressor on the stock bracket that relocates the oil filter to the passenger side. and that would be awesome!

These literally took years to make as finding a good pair to use as a template proved virtually impossible. I’ll have to check when I’m back at the shop (probably later this month) and will see if I made an extra pair, which I believe I did. I also made the Carter fuel pump to filter line that is specific to 1956 models with 4-brl carburetors.

Posted on: 2022/4/11 17:06
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 35 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved