Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
70 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 69

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Well, that's irritating. (Paint color changed...)
Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
My '37 115c has been part of the family since 2019. The car had been restored perhaps 25 to 30 years ago, at far higher expense than they received on the sale.

The previous owner had backed a car into the RF fender, leaving a 4" diameter ding in it, breaking out a layer of Very Poorly Done bondo, and a brazed over crack in the fender.

I fixed that nonsense without too much trouble. Ordered paint in the original code...and today when I repainted the ding, found out that they'd changed the color in the restoration to a more bluish-green with a fine metallic. So the Hickory Green will not match the restored paint color.

Grrrr.

At $200 a pint, it's a bit off-putting.

Posted on: 2022/4/9 19:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Well, that's irritating. (Paint color changed...)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is very off-putting and just as bad as ordering what you know for sure is still an untouched original paint by code and then finding out when applying the new paint that the original color had faded. All I can suggest to others in the same position is for best results try to remove something small and take it to a local paint shop and have it color matched.

Posted on: 2022/4/9 20:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
I'll drive Amelia to the paint shop and have it matched. The Hickory Green is a lovely color, but the blue-green with a fine metallic is nothing close.

At least it doesn't clash like Kermit-The-Frog, but still...

At least with my '40 110 I KNOW that has not been repainted, and despite the fact that I don't care for the Cubana Brown/Tan paint, it'll get that same color when it goes back to all being the same color, patina included.

Posted on: 2022/4/9 22:11
 Top  Print   
Like (2)

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Yeah, on a spot fix like that, you've gotta' go have the existing color matched - even if it's black, because there are different shades of black.

Bummer that you had to spend the extra money and time, but, anytime you're spot repairing an older restored car, you have to have the existing color matched. Even if they would've used the correct color to begin with, if they did it fifteen years ago, odds are, that color has faded a bit or just changed on its own a little.

Good luck, and like the name, my daughter is named Amelia.

Posted on: 2022/4/11 8:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
We named her for Amelia Earhart, who disappeared about six weeks after our '37 hit the streets.

Posted on: 2022/4/11 19:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Well, that
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Here's another Packard named Amelia. Story is - this is the car she left at the airport whe she set off on her ill-fated round the world flight. The current owner is interested if anyone has any info which would help in the provenance of this car.

Notice the one legged tow truck driver, you don't see many like that!

Attach file:

jpg  Amelia1.JPG (99.02 KB)
226_6254cbcf476ff.jpg 856X642 px

Posted on: 2022/4/11 19:46
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Re: Well, that
Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
I would think that would be hard to prove without serious documentation. She was photographed quite a bit with a Cord convertible coupe not long before she disappeared, I always figured that was her car.

Posted on: 2022/4/18 15:55
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved