Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
129 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 127

BigKev, CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: 1955 Caribbean top material
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/partslist/index.php?mode=partnumber&SearchValue=429557&ButtonLookup=Go

Group #31.061
Part#429557

Looks like all 51-56 convertible used it.

Might help with your search.

Posted on: 2022/4/14 12:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin
See User information
Hi West, I don't have the measurements, but I have a few photos of the rear window of the 1955 Caribbean I sold last year, and which still had the original top. I think there are also some factory photos of the 1955 Caribbean in the PackardInfo library (I had submitted them) that might be closer to being square-on, so they could be easier to work with do some mathematical scaling.

I know who to contact at the PPG regarding the blueprints; if you want to pursue that, I can PM you the info to get ahold of him directly.

Also, Joel Ray has probably one of the most carefully restored 1956 Caribbeans on the planet. You could always reach out to him and ask if he would mind taking a measurement for you.

Sorry this is becoming frustrating, but we're all here to help if we can!

Posted on: 2022/4/14 20:18
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
West, if you're inclined to scale from an illustration, Plate 13 of the 1955/56 Parts List includes a rear elevation which should be useful.

Posted on: 2022/4/14 22:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Received a great photo from 1955 from Kevin, showing a straight-on rear view. It is perfect to compare with what is on the car now, and appears to be identical.
Since I got the photo from Kevin, I do not feel I have the right to post here without his permission.

Thank you all for your help.

Posted on: 2022/4/15 8:05
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin
See User information
Go ahead and post away, West, the photo was already in the Packard Info photo library. It was just easier last night to send you the scan I had made of the original print than it was to find the URL.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=2748

Posted on: 2022/4/15 9:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

West Peterson wrote:
Can someone measure the back plastic window on the top? It seems that Electron's window size is way too big. Their catalog says they will make it any size, but I need to know what the correct size is.

I'm am taking your advice and ordering the light colored liner. Thanks.

What DIY-ers don't realize is that to a professional trimmer, a convertible "rear window size" is usually measured from the entire size of what trimmers would refer to as "the curtain." The curtain is what goes under the outer top itself. DIY-ers presume this size if the "window opening" size in the top itself... which to pro trimmers is a whole different animal. The window curtain is the entire rear window assembly which may be much larger than the visible window opening as seen on a completed top itself.

I know Electron is a very different company from the old days when I was using them. However, they always used to have proper dimensions. Why that would suddenly not be true is a mystery. Furthermore, "making it any size" is an offer to all of the people out there now creating custom whatzits. I'm sure that Electron knows and sells the stock original size rear window. They did back in the 1970s-80s.

Again, if all else fails, Warren, Ohio can't be too far away. If there is some critical question/issue about 1955 Caribbean convertible backlight rear window, why not get it direct from the dead original, low-miles Howard Hughes Caribbean right there in the museum? No guessing, no consensus needed. No he-said-she-said, might-be-this-could-be-that stuff. A dead original, low-mileage, un-restored, un-molested top! Right there where it can't go anywhere...

Posted on: 2022/4/15 13:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Yes, I had certainly taken that into consideration, BUT 26 inches stretches from the turtle deck to beyond the top bow. Well beyond what could be considered the "the curtain."

Posted on: 2022/4/16 17:33
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

West Peterson wrote:
Yes, I had certainly taken that into consideration, BUT 26 inches stretches from the turtle deck to beyond the top bow. Well beyond what could be considered the "the curtain"

Professionals in the convertible top business know that rear window backlight curtains on a dry-well convertible are never cut to exact size. It is expected that the installer will trim the size during installation, so the curtain is invariably made larger to allow the trimmer to trim for variances. Such curtain assemblies for a dry-well convertible are never pre-cut to an exact size. This is always how the industry has worked. The time to worry is when it is too small... not when it may seem too large.

Just like measurements from the front bow to the rear bow may seem like a set entity to a DIY-er. But the tops are always, always made longer ...and are trimmed back at installation.

Doing convertible tops– despite what J.C. Whitney catalogues and the internet might imply– were never a good DIY field.

Posted on: 2022/4/17 16:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
Here are some photos, taken in 2008, of Howard Hughes' all-original 1955 Caribbean when it was on display at the Automobile Driving Museum in Los Angeles.

Attach file:

jpg  CIMG4749.JPG (168.15 KB)
1445_625cc416673d5.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  CIMG4751.JPG (158.89 KB)
1445_625cc44d597f3.jpg 2560X1920 px

jpg  CIMG4752.JPG (207.07 KB)
1445_625cc47b77b2e.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/4/17 20:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

Professionals in the convertible top business know that rear window backlight curtains on a dry-well convertible are never cut to exact size. It is expected that the installer will trim the size during installation, so the curtain is invariably made larger to allow the trimmer to trim for variances. Such curtain assemblies for a dry-well convertible are never pre-cut to an exact size. This is always how the industry has worked. The time to worry is when it is too small... not when it may seem too large.

Just like measurements from the front bow to the rear bow may seem like a set entity to a DIY-er. But the tops are always, always made longer ...and are trimmed back at installation.

Doing convertible tops– despite what J.C. Whitney catalogues and the internet might imply– were never a good DIY field.

Thanks. Just for clarification, I'm not attempting to do this myself. Just trying to get the correct (correct size, anyway) top ordered.

Posted on: 2022/4/18 9:46
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved