Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
39 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 39

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 6 Volt Replacement Battery
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard - Don't recall specs on the failed switch, but I still have a C-H switch on the '37 Six and the '55 Clipper. They have never given me any problems. I think you will be okay with one of these switches on your '47 Clipper.

packardguy53 - The reason for battery cut-off switches on all my vintage cars is primarily for safety, to prevent electrical fires. They may serve a minor roll in slowing down battery discharge over a long period of time. I also have one of these disconnects on my 30 Ford Model A hot rod, which has brand new wiring. A well hidden switch could be a theft preventative measure. The ones on my cars are placed for easy access.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/8/15 16:26
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I have tried the green knob disconnect/the knife switch disconnect-all failed-I am back to taking a lead off the battery. I think I will try this-John is correct-safety is the big concern with these cars. One reason not too keen on a battery tender-I have seen batteries blow up on those things

Posted on: 2013/8/15 16:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Thanks JW. I was just reading on another subject of a smoking ignition switch and he mentioned having to look around for a wrench to take off a battery cable, to which a respondent said it might be a good idea to put a disconnect switch on the battery. That disconnect sounds like a good idea on my cars too. I appreciate your reply.
Steve.....

Posted on: 2013/8/15 16:37
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dave Siewe
See User information
My 1947 Packard Custom Super Clipper's battery gave up the ghost and I found two excellent sources for a replacement.
For those of you who want a period-correct replacement, The Battery Central Mall carries an entire line of Willard batteries that fit Packard models from 1921 through 1958. You can have the Packard script on the side of the battery for an upcharge. But they are expensive.
A link to the website is attached:

https://www.batterycentralmall.com/Batteries/TurboStart/Packard.html

A less expensive alternative is to go to Remy Batteries in Milwaukee. They build industrial batteries and their 2E-1, designed for tractors, is an exact duplicate in size, voltage, and amp for the original battery in my 1947 Custom. Here is a link to that battery and about a hundred dollars less than the period-correct batteries. Either way, you should be covered!

https://remybattery.com/group-size-2e-battery.html

Posted on: 2022/4/22 8:18
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bear
See User information
Tractor Supply battery has been good for me too

Posted on: 2022/4/22 8:32
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bear
See User information
Tractor Supply battery has been good for me too

Posted on: 2022/4/22 8:32
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved