Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 153

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: straight 8 upgrades
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Screwing around with old cars regardless if going full stock or something else should be fun. Enjoy the experience. It doesn't really matter what others think; although, compliments are nice to receive. Do it. You will be glad you did.

Posted on: 2022/4/29 11:36
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
Spot on JWL. The original post by PackRat mentioned a little more power and excitement. I screw around with my old Packard and enjoy it every time. I did not take his inquiry as a serious Bonneville Salt Flats mechanical technical mega cost concours conversion. I took it as "what can I have fun with?" Others note the topic has been discussed many times. Searching the forum for old posts has a lot of info. No worries.

Interestingly, I had followed this 1953 Mayfair with a supercharged V8 stuffed into it:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/CH1019-389031/1953-packard-mayfair/

I have also been intrigued by the history of the McCulloch VS57 supercharger in the 50s:

http://vs57.y-block.info/history.htm

Attach file:

jpg  1954supercharger1.jpg (57.30 KB)
201206_626d4bca7adf1.jpg 640X497 px

jpg  1954supercharger2.jpg (117.55 KB)
201206_626d4bd7c6858.jpg 1024X683 px

jpg  53MAYFAIRV8SUPERCHARGERa.JPG (156.67 KB)
201206_626d4bf203379.jpg 1521X861 px

jpg  53packardmayfairsuperchargerB.JPG (174.07 KB)
201206_626d4bfe66b75.jpg 1518X839 px

jpg  packardVS57.JPG (78.68 KB)
201206_626d4c1766652.jpg 1085X525 px

Posted on: 2022/4/30 9:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
It has to do with the design of the L8 and not what one likes. HP/weight ratio is important and these blocks are almost twice what a V design would weigh.
That's why not many did much, so few parts ever existed.
The Ford flathead guys, because of shear numbers and V design, had much better success and are still in business.
We hashed this out pretty thoroughly in the modification forum a few years back. Maybe go look instead of rehash old info.

Posted on: 2022/4/30 11:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Precisely. Go have some fun and spend some money. You didn't really need the money anyway.

The basic power increasing principle is, an engine is a kind of air pump. So, to make more power, one has to flow more air. The old saying is that there is no substitute for cubic inches. You'll be wanting those, and you'll be wanting to port and relieve the block, and you'll be wanting bigger valves. I haven't looked into what is available for replacement valves, but I suspect those would have to be custom fabricated. Also not sure what the limits to size increases are. Supercharging starts to make a lot of sense very quickly. You're likely limited to 10 pounds of boost without o-ringing the block, and you'll be in the head gasket fabrication business if you do that, I suspect. There's an article out there somewhere about a guy who was fitting a pair of IIRC Mopar 4.7L right side heads to a Packard block to convert it to SOHC operation.

And you can't o-ring a relieved block, it dawns on me.

This guy's book helped me more than any other about the theory of getting the most bang for your petro dollars:

https://www.cartechbooks.com/products/david-vizards-how-to-build-horsepower?variant=34828555911213

Posted on: 2022/4/30 12:09
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm a purist and not into modifications, but adding this information for those that enjoy that.

The "guy" doing the SOHC on a 356 is my friend Ed up in New Hampshire. It's now finished and functioning, a project that took several years and a huge amount of re-engineering and metal machining. Here's an early picture and another as it was nearing completion. Not a project for anyone without a very good machine shop and skills, or a large budget. The engine is now installed into a 35 or 36 "120" which required extensive changes to accomodate the engine/trans.

As to supercharging, including a well-known photo of a factory experimental supercharger installation on a 6th Series big 8. I've never seen any data on what kind of performance it generated.

Attach file:

jpg  SOHC 356 copy.jpg (214.99 KB)
177_626d7a0361ec6.jpg 1500X1123 px

png  ewj fi3561.png (1,505.25 KB)
177_626d7b38df30a.png 1024X766 px

jpg  Experimental 6th series.jpg (277.07 KB)
177_626d7c5f1d630.jpg 1500X1073 px

Posted on: 2022/4/30 13:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I'd like to see some pictures of the finished (or in progress) car, featuring the engine compartment, of course.

Posted on: 2022/5/1 5:14
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wat,

This thread on the PAC Website contains more info on the SOHC build but no further photos.

Posted on: 2022/5/1 5:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
Wat,

This thread on the PAC Website contains more info on the SOHC build but no further photos.

Thanks, Mal. I had read that thread previously and the concepts (some, not all) stuck in my head. Frankly, my dear, I can't imagine what a royal pain in the @$$ making those divergent things work must be/have been.

I think that a flathead Ford becomes something else when you put a set of Ardun heads on it, and I feel similarly about this-here rig. Maybe I'm stuck on flatheadedness.

I wish I had bothered to learn something about machining when I wore a younger man's clothes.

Posted on: 2022/5/1 7:14
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
That sohc is awesome! Makes my little efi conversion look like amateur hour lol!

Posted on: 2022/5/1 12:35
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
I wish I had bothered to learn something about machining when I wore a younger man's clothes.

Wat, I am a journeyman prototype machinist (or at least I was when younger) and I still cannot imagine ever taking on a project like this! It would be very daunting to say the least. Yes, I could have done the machining but certainly not the engineering behind it!

Posted on: 2022/5/1 14:11
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved